Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady wants me to build a breakfast bar that doubles as a counter top for cooking, baking etc.
She's tall... 6'2" guestimate... taller than I am & I'm 6'.. So it seems her happy height for a counter is +- 38".
Now where this is going to double as a breakfast bar with stools what would be a reasonable overhang to allow for knee & leg space?
My first guess is 10 to maybe 14 inches.
We're looking at something like this but with a butcher block top & overhang on 3 sides. Top dimensions are 61.25" by 31.00"
http://www.wayfair.com/Home-Styles-Nantucket-Kitchen-Island-with-Granite-Top-88-5022-94-HO2542.html
What say the crew?
Thanx..Jon..

·
Registered
26,365 Posts
I can't open the link with my internet. If you are going to build something for the kitchen that is other than a standard height you should warn the customer that it may make the house harder to sell or affect the value of the house. Another person looking at the house might be 4'-8". In the end I will build any size they want but I always caution them. I did a kitchen for a couple in 2009 with the base cabinets 40" tall. After installing them they realized they screwed up and then paid me to cut them down. The most I could cut them down to was 38" cutting 1/2" off the top of the cabinets and 1 1/2" out of the toekick. The job looked pretty bad but they didn't want me to rebuild the bases. Ever since then I really try to sway someone against making base cabinets taller than 36".

As far as the overhang I wouldn't go less than 14". I think 16" would be better.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
If this is going into kitchen,

and they already have counter tops for serving then make it the same ht. If this is an addition or mobile, standard for the top 36". If this is raised bar for high stools, stand for the top is 42".

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Like cabbie said.

I'd have to dig up my copy of AGS and blow the dust off it to confirm but I'm sure cabbie nailed it.

Reactions: cabinetman

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses folks.. We looked at a 42" height and she felt for a working surface it was too high.. 36" was low enough that she had to bend & it was tough on her back so here's where the 38" height came from.. A I said she's quite tall. The other counters are way too low for her at 34".... her grandmother was a short lady.
I'll probably end up making the stools as well since it's an odd height.
This is going to be "semi fixed". The house is a small log cabin her grandfather built & they plan on leaving it to their kids. So resale value isn't a big consideration.
The assembly is going to be fixed with a few accessible lag screws to a couple 6 x 6 posts that are in the kitchen. These are load bearing & have to be there. BUT the whole works "could" be moved if it came to that without any major tearing out.
After sitting at a couple tables, bars etc with a tape measure I gotta agree with Cabbie that a foot at minimum would be the way to go. Where this is going to be anchored to posts I'm not concerned with the "tipping"...Like if it were free standing. The "Knee room" is going to determine the carcass size, hence my question.
They've pretty much decided to paint the cabinet base.:blink: I told them it's really going to "stand out" since everything else is a natural wood finish.. but.. the bottom line being... they're the ones that are gonna have to look at it so they can paint it sky-blue-pink it they want to.
Again.. thanx guys.. appreciate your input.
..Jon..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts