Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am making adirondack chairs for my first project as a woodworker (if I dare call myself one lol). I plan on using either pine, cedar or restored barn wood (if its good enough I pick it up some time today). I am gifting these chairs to my in-laws and wanted to make it personalized. At first I was thinking about inlay on the back rest that spells out their name. Last night I gave that a practice run and realized quickly that I did not have the right tools to do the job right. So, I changed my direction and starting looking for workable alternatives. My wife has an old branding iron that the great grandfather used to mark his work. So I decided I am going to route out a 4 inch by 4 inch square and brand a seperate piece of wood and lay that in the spot (this way I can attempt it over and over without ruining the chair) . Any idea what kind of wood is good for branding? Sorry for the long post, I constantly feel the need to explain every little thing lol.

·
Registered
26,345 Posts
Any wood would brand fine. You might test the iron on scrap first. I would suspect the old dry barn wood would brand faster though.

·
Hunter
239 Posts
Soft wood burns faster, hard wood slower. Light woods will show more contrast. But any wood will burn.

That being said, I typically brand pine. I hold get the iron glowing hot with a propane weed burner and hold it on the wood until it catches fire. I press firmly to try to get a good, deep burn. It only takes a few seconds.

Hunter

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use a branding iron the I got from rockler.
Make sure to lightly rock it back and forth ... It seems to help with the corners and give it a even burn in.
Just thought I'd share my experience....

Alternatively, I have found that clear water slide decals also work great on wood if you want to personalize something for someone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts