Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm new here & new in the shop as well. I've been creeping over a few blogs in the last couple weeks scanning for info on starting out & what & how to buy in terms of tools. I really like this one as it seems immense, diverse & well frequented by a lot of people who really know their craft.

I'm a Las Vegas bartender by day (night?), a Dj on the side and I've always wanted to build furniture since as long as i can remember. I always thought it'd be something i'd do when i retired, but now that I have a home with enough space (converting casita to shop as we speak) I figured why not now?

The real kick was needing to build out a Dj booth (62"x24"x20") for our house warming party & getting it done, with a just a circular saw, a drill & a hand planer. It's square, solid & functional but I wanted to do MORE. I enjoyed the process of building & using something I made, not bought. So.. I read up, probably watched days worth of youtube videos for both inspiration & information & bought a router (porter cable 892). Then did more research & got a table for it. Then realized i could have just built one, & did a LOT more research & found a great deal on a Unisaw (3hp, right tilt, platinum 36-941).

That's about where I'm at now. The carpet's ripped out of the shop, the saw's set & the blade guard (yes i fired a chunk of wood at the wall behind me without it) just arrived & I'm starting my first project on the new toys tomorrow for my niece. It'll be an project requested by my sister in law for plans she found off of ana white's site. I'm sure this is beyond cakewalk for most here but starting safely & with a solid plan to get comfortable is quite alright by me, especially after seeing what 3hp can do to 4" of scrap wood.. and my wall.

Hope to update soon with new projects, ideas, rookie issues & all that good stuff. So glad i found this place, the inspiration & knowledge here is beyond a gold mine for someone just starting out. Thanks to everyone active on here, I'm so stoked to finally get going!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Welcome. I'm in here as a wood carver. Things from 9" - 30" tall.

Wood dust is very hard on your lungs, some kinds are downright poisonous.
If I was going in your direction, I'd be looking next at a serious dust collection system.
Even if it's kinda-sorta rolling on wheels and you hook it up to one power tool at a time.
For my little drill press (shaping sea shell, etc) and my 8" bandsaw, my ShopVac is enough.

Too funny about the wooden rocket launch from the TS. I was standing behind mine when it happened. Not funny.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys & yes, you're dead on. I just went w/ a 14g Rigid Shop Vac w/ an extra bag filter for now. I cut some scrap plate for the TS & hole drilled a 2 1/2" port, it looks like it lost the collection port a while ago, probably w/ the splitter. The router table already has a port that fits. My buddy at work was showing me how to build my own cyclone system to separate dust & chips. might have to give that a shot before too long.

Kickback is no joke, hope you're ok now Robson. I took it as a blessing to see what it's capable of w/o feeling it & did a bunch more reading up on safely calibrating & operating everything. Feel much more confidant, if still careful now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts