Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure this is in the right part of the forum or not. Maybe this is off-topic. I was just wondering if any of you guys really try to stick to one or two brands in your workshops or do you just buy the best tool that you can afford no matter who makes it? I guess this question is asking how much do you guys care about looks or your own personal experience with a brand when buying new tools?

:smile:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I generally stick with a brand I have had good experience with. Right now I have a mix of Rigid machines, Delta and Craftsman. For power tools I have had good luck with Hitachi.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
kelsochris said:
I generally stick with a brand I have had good experience with...
Ditto

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't really have loyalty to any particular brand although I will shy away from specific models that have poor customer reviews. The older Sears Craftsman equipment is starting to wear me down because I am finding it increasingly difficult to find replacement parts.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I try to get the most bang for the buck, therefore, little or no brand loyalty. Possible exception would be battery operated stuff where I would to keep the batteries interchangeable with the tools. Even there though, I will give preference to brands I have had good luck with. Once the flag changes though, ie.. Porter Cable is now under Black and Decker, they gotta start over with me. :smile:

Reactions: jharris2

·
Registered
914 Posts
My brand loyalty to Delta bit me right in the you know what. I had been using Delta machines almost exclusively for around 20 years (had a couple of 50's era Delta Milwaukee machines) with no real issues and after getting a new Unisaw I decided to get all new matching machines. Every single one of the new machines had problems right out of the box including 2 Delta Biesemeyer fences (I took back a drill press and bandsaw as they were beyond repair IMO) and if I ever get a chance to do it again you can bet I'll go a different route!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Laughing! I'll see your dittos and raise....

·
Registered
899 Posts
Delta is no longer tool it use to be. Black & Decker bought them out along with DeWalt and porter cable. They left PC to there own. The Dewalt tools are basicaly B&D tool. But the have brought the quality up to par with the dewalt. Delta unfortunitaly was left to be supported by there name alone. The company has been on sale since B&D bought them. To bad i Love Delta tools.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Stanley Tool merged with B&D about 2 years ago, and spun Delta off to a Chinese company called Cheng Type Ltd. Delta has pretty much been in a death spiral since.

·
Hunter
240 Posts
I generally buy the best tool that I can afford. That being said, I have a lot of yellow and black stuff. I usually start looking at DeWalt and then see if anyone else makes something better. If there's something better I go for it.

Hunter

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I buy Pfeil wood carving tools because they have been consistent performers for the past 15 years.
If/when I want to make a carving tool, I buy Narex skews and chisels and start from there. Workable steel, *** durable carving edges. I have a pair of 1/2" skews on hand for the inspiration that might hit me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
knotscott said:
Stanley Tool merged with B&D about 2 years ago, and spun Delta off to a Chinese company called Cheng Type Ltd. Delta has pretty much been in a death spiral since.
Merger was in 2010 (the Stanley Works, by the way; Stanley tool and level co merged with the Stanley works early in the 20th century). You are right about delta too. Many many brands are under the Stanley flag now. E.g. Stanley, black & decker, dewalt, porter cable, vidmar, lista, bostitch, Mac, proto, facom, etc. incidentally, the Asian companies that make Stanley and national hardware are no longer owned by Stanley, which was their original product line and a major reason new Britain ct is known as the hardware city.

As for brand loyalty, I am partial to Stanley products partly for the irrational reasons of physical proximity and history; I pretty much view any of their brands as the same. (Is there really a quality difference between a dewalt and a pc router? My guess is no.)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts