Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a 7 or 8 bit set that includes drills 1/4" and smaller. Someone said Fisch is good but reviews cited accuracy of diameter as a problem. If I'm spending money, I'd like some accuracy. What do y'all use that you like?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

·
Smart and Cool
1,956 Posts
I want to purchase a 7 or 8 bit set that includes drills 1/4" and smaller. Someone said Fisch is good but reviews cited accuracy of diameter as a problem. If I'm spending money, I'd like some accuracy. What do y'all use that you like?

Thanks!
I'm curious what you are doing that requires accuracy in the diameter? From a pure machining perspective, drill bits are NOT accurate, they don't even make a perfectly round hole.

I have everything from cheap brad points, to expensive, I honestly don't notice any difference in what I use them for.

I picked this set up from Woodcraft on a black friday deal, $29.99, got sets for all of my sons/son in law, they've performed just fine, plus there are a lot of them.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-100-piece-combo-brad-point-and-twist-drill-bit-box

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you but I have a box full of extra drill bits. Any of which can be sharpened into a brad point drill bit. You just need a metal cutting cut off wheel on a grinder to do it.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you but I have a box full of extra drill bits. Any of which can be sharpened into a brad point drill bit. You just need a metal cutting cut off wheel on a grinder to do it.
Speaking only for myself, sharpening ordinary twist drills is hard enough. Trying to make brad points out of twist drills is beyond my level of interest or skill. Instead, I bought these brad point drill bits from Woodcraft:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-29-piece-fractional-inch-brad-point-drill-bit-index-set
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-25-piece-metric-brad-point-drill-bit-index-set

I have no idea whether they are good or accurate, and would not recommend them on that basis. I bought them because I wanted a set of brad point drill bits, and these Imperial and Metric sets were on sale for $29 each.

They work well enough for me. When I had to match a store-bought dowel for gluing, the "correct" bit was not a match. I drilled test holes until I found the best match. The same thing is true when I needed a hole for a plug cutter plug. I just assumed that mismatches are normal within woodworking tolerances, and that some things labeled in Imperial units are actually their metric equivalents that are not quite equivalent. What I have are two graduated sets of brad point bits in many different sizes that drill decent holes in wood.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Speaking only for myself, sharpening ordinary twist drills is hard enough. Trying to make brad points out of twist drills is beyond my level of interest or skill. Instead, I bought these brad point drill bits from Woodcraft:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-29-piece-fractional-inch-brad-point-drill-bit-index-set
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-25-piece-metric-brad-point-drill-bit-index-set

I have no idea whether they are good or accurate, and would not recommend them on that basis. I bought them because I wanted a set of brad point drill bits, and these Imperial and Metric sets were on sale for $29 each.

They work well enough for me. When I had to match a store-bought dowel for gluing, the "correct" bit was not a match. I drilled test holes until I found the best match. The same thing is true when I needed a hole for a plug cutter plug. I just assumed that mismatches are normal within woodworking tolerances, and that some things labeled in Imperial units are actually their metric equivalents that are not quite equivalent. What I have are two graduated sets of brad point bits in many different sizes that drill decent holes in wood.
Tooling might be an issue with really small bits but it's not as difficult as you think to turn a regular bit into a brad point. You just grind the point off of a drill bit and then sharpen it between the center and the outside. I made this 3/16" bit from a regular bit to use for 5mm pins for adjustable shelving. The brand point doesn't chip the wood like a twist drill will.

Attachments

·
An experienced novice
323 Posts
I bought the 7-bit set from Lee Valley and have used a couple of them. The 1/4" was perfect for drilling pin holes for adjustable shelves in the new medicine cabinet.

The cheap ones are good enough for my occasional use.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I use Irwin brad points. They're readily available, not too expensive, they cut cleanly, and their sizing is pretty consistent, for woodworking tolerances. Plugs fit into them snugly.
Years ago, I bought some from HF, but when I went to use one, realized that the outer cutting edges were longer than the center point. Duh.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I bought a full set of brad point bits from Rockler when they had a sale. The bits are fine but the plastic case doesn’t want to let the bit go. The case makes it really hard to extract or replace the bits.
So the lesson for me is don’t buy a bit plastic case. Buy a metal case.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I buy brad-point bits from open stock as I need them. I don't expect or need nanometer accuracy.
I sometimes pin parts of wood carvings together with lengths of bamboo chopstick or satay skewer.
Once assembled, who's to know how it's held together?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, folks!

I had to place an order with a Luthier supplier and because of their minimum shipping charge I threw in one each of 1/8" and 3/16" b/p bits. That'll tide me over for starters.

Steve, I've always felt that machinist skills would be priceless for most anything and you confirm that once again! :)

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Thanks, folks!

I had to place an order with a Luthier supplier and because of their minimum shipping charge I threw in one each of 1/8" and 3/16" b/p bits. That'll tide me over for starters.

Steve, I've always felt that machinist skills would be priceless for most anything and you confirm that once again! :)
I'm hardly a machinist. It's just after sharpening a brad point drill bit several times you are constantly maintaining the shape so it's not that much difference in taking a regular bit and turning it into a brad point.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got a complete by 64ths to 1/2" set. The normally $20 sets,of Chinese bits were only $10 because MLCS had a bunch of then in banged up index cases. I wasnt expecting much but they drill nice clean holes and that is all I need . I am sure they are cheap carbon steel and would go dull prety quick with a lot of use but they do me fine and I fixed the chap index.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
I got a complete by 64ths to 1/2" set. The normally $20 sets,of Chinese bits were only $10 because MLCS had a bunch of then in banged up index cases. I wasnt expecting much but they drill nice clean holes and that is all I need . I am sure they are cheap carbon steel and would go dull prety quick with a lot of use but they do me fine and I fixed the chap index.

A set like that can come in very handy, if you use certain sizes a lot just replace those with better quality bits.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A set like that can come in very handy, if you use certain sizes a lot just replace those with better quality bits.
You are right; that is the way to go. Sorry for all the typos in the original post. It must have been late. I had trouble reading it, myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts