Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PorterCable brad nailer and my local stores no longer carry PC brads. Will other brands, say Hitachi, work in my PC. Same gauge btw.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just make sure they are the same feed angle. Either straight feed or angled feed. My bostitch gun are all straight feed so I can use any that are angled feed. (Hope that makes sense)

·
Senior Something
1,115 Posts
I had a similiar problem when I switched bradders. I had generics that fit in the old gun but would not fit the new one. Slightly thicher (by feel) metal (same gauge). But I thick if you stick with another name brand you'll be fine.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have a P.C. 18ga. nailer. I buy all my brads at Harbor Freight. They cost about half of other brands and work great.
Beware of the 23 gauge pins from HF. They are made with a softer wire and at times tend to follow the grain. I have seen them make a 180° turn.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Beware of the 23 gauge pins from HF. They are made with a softer wire and at times tend to follow the grain. I have seen them make a 180° turn.
Rich - I'm not so sure about that, I have 5/8" pins from HF and 3/4 and 1" PC pins and I've seen 'em all make U-turns. I think it is likely more a function of length whether they deflect or not. On the 1" pins I figure on about 1 in 5 deflecting in plywood. I haven't, however, tested equal lengths of different brands which would be needed to derive any conclusions. :smile:

·
John
3,028 Posts
This used to be a pretty good source for fasteners.
http://bigskytool.com/Nails___c559.aspx

I was buying from them when they had flat rate shipping of $6.99 per order and stocked up pretty good. That flat rate seems to have gone away. Prices still look decent but shipping will be a factor.:smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts