Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully not too basic a question. I am replacing my old pneumatic brad nailer and stapler. The new ones are Senco for the nailer and Porter Cable in the small crown size for the stapler. They are enroute and haven't arrived yet. I want to buy a supply of brads and staples for them. I don't know if my existing supply will fit them. What do I need to know about fitting brads and staples to these units? Do I need to by the same brand? Are they all the same and it doesn't matter? Thanks for any help.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
They must be the same gauge, must meet the same minimum and maximum legnths the gun specifies, and in the case of angled fasteners they must have the same degree slant.
Some interchange some don't.
I used to have them memorized but there are so many different brands and models now you just have to know your guns' specs and then it's just a matter of reading the box of nails in question.
Not all that complicated really.

Let's say you have a Duo Fast framing nailer that shoots .121 in lengths 1 3/8 to 2 1/2" and it takes 22 degree clips (I can't remember the actual degree). You just look for a box of say Grip Rite (much cheaper than say Duo Fast) that has these specs and you can use them.

With a brad nailer lets say it's 18 guage straight plunge and shoots brads from 3/4" to 1 1/2" - then you just look for brads that are 18 guage, no shorter than 3/4" and no longer than 1 1/2" and the clips are straight not angled.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have a CP (Harborfreight) Brad Gun and Stapler. Both use 18 Ga. I've Yet to have an Issu using the Porter Cable brand 18 ga brads / Staples in either gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess my existing stock will work fine. My main concern was with the staples. Some people call them 1/4" crown, others 7/32". I have some that are pretty flat in profile and some that are more rounded. I used to just buy them at the tool store. These new guns were bought on line. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have an older (7 yrs) porter cable brad nailer that will NOT accept any senco brads. the heads of the senco brads are a hair wider, and jam up when fired. i have to use porter cable brads, though i have not purchased and tried any other brands in the gun

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a porter-cable brad nailer and have never used any Porter-cable nails and have had no issues at all however I have a Bostitch stapler and have to use the Bostitch staples. I sales rep once told me that I should use the tool Manafators fasteners since they are sized to fit that gun and anyone Else's could screw up the firring pin but yet no issues with the Portet-Cable. Neither gun has had to be repaired over the past 6 years. I also own 2 senco's, 1- 16 gauge angle nailer and 1- 16 gauge stapler and have only used the senco nails. I'm thinking maybe its the staplers that are more fussy but not sure.
Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the Porter Cable stapler arrived today. I didn't test it with the included P-C staples, assuming they would work. I did test it with 1/2" and 1" Jet staples and 5/8" Senco staples and it drove them all without any issues at all. I was pleased that, with the compressor set at 90 psi, the unit drove 1/2" and 1" staples to exactly the same depth in pine, based on the depth adjustment on the unit. The product is also very nice for clearing jams. I didn't have any, luckily, but the front of the unit swings out after pushing a release lever to reveal the front mechanism. I had to take my old Jet apart with 4 screws to clear jams. I can't imagine what else I could ask for in a narrow crown stapler. Nice product. I hope the Senco brad nailer that is on the way is as versatile.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have an older (7 yrs) porter cable brad nailer that will NOT accept any senco brads. the heads of the senco brads are a hair wider, and jam up when fired. i have to use porter cable brads, though i have not purchased and tried any other brands in the gun
One thing I did learn in my readings is that Senco makes 18 ga. brads with two different head sizes. Perhaps the problem you had was with the wider ones and the narrower ones might be fine with your nailer. I still have about 20,000 Jet brand brads. My fingers are crossed that the new Senco will drive them. I'm getting confident now that it will.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing I did learn in my readings is that Senco makes 18 ga. brads with two different head sizes. Perhaps the problem you had was with the wider ones and the narrower ones might be fine with your nailer. I still have about 20,000 Jet brand brads. My fingers are crossed that the new Senco will drive them. I'm getting confident now that it will.
thanks for the info, i had no idea. i will definitely investigate further

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, All!
I'm new on this great forum. And I'm new on pneumatic tools. I've bought my first stapler Porter-Cable NS150B 1/2" to 1-1/2" 18Ga.
By mistake I've bought a box of 3/8 stalples also. Is it safe (for the stapler) to use them? Is it possible to damage the stapler by using 3/8" staples?

TIA!

Sorry for possible mistakes - English is not my native language.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Hi, All!
I'm new on this great forum. And I'm new on pneumatic tools. I've bought my first stapler Porter-Cable NS150B 1/2" to 1-1/2" 18Ga.
By mistake I've bought a box of 3/8 stalples also. Is it safe (for the stapler) to use them? Is it possible to damage the stapler by using 3/8" staples?

TIA!

Sorry for possible mistakes - English is not my native language.

Try it see what happens.

They may not seat all the way.

$100 staplers, are throw aways... but you may get several years of everyday use out of a PC. :smile:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hopefully not too basic a question. I am replacing my old pneumatic brad nailer and stapler. The new ones are Senco for the nailer and Porter Cable in the small crown size for the stapler. They are enroute and haven't arrived yet. I want to buy a supply of brads and staples for them. I don't know if my existing supply will fit them. What do I need to know about fitting brads and staples to these units? Do I need to by the same brand? Are they all the same and it doesn't matter? Thanks for any help.
Why not just take them back? By the way I have had my pc brad nailer for over ten years and I use it often at work and at home:yes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts