Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing with making bracelets. I use a circle cutter in the drill press set at 2 1/8 inch or thereabout, then mount it to the chuck with an inside grip and form the outside. Sand it, put some thin CA on it, wrap tape on the outside, then chuck it on the other chuck with the big jaws and clamp it on the outside so I can round and smooth the insides. Sand and finish on the inside then mount it back on the inside grip chuck ( theres tape on the jaws to cushion the finish) and complete the finishing on the outside. Any rough spots left over can be hand finished.
This one was made from a slab of douglas fir from the scrap bucket.

Attachments

·
sawdust manufacturer
581 Posts
Neat idea, well turned!:thumbsup:

I believe one of the other "jewelry turners" here has made some segmented bangles before, but my memory fails me...:yes:

p

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Very nice. I was demonstrating at a craft show this weekend with another couple of turners and one wanted to know how to turn bracelets. I showed him how to hollow out the middle and true up the outside. then shape one side of the bracelet. part if off. Then cut a jam chuck on what's left and put the bracelet on and clean up the other side. He ended up making 3 more with that piece of wood.
made out of single piece of wood they are week at the long grain area and could break if the wood isn't fairly thick. I usually a laminate several pieces with the grain oriented 90 or 180 degrees to each other to make this weak grain area stronger.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Looks good. The ones I have made I turned as John L. described. My wife loved them and has been on me to make some more.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts