Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
kendall
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is what i get to do when i open my mouth.

im building a house for some people and they have a open staircase.
the wife picked out a newell post that she liked out of a staircase magazine only to find out it would take six weeks to get them made out of cherry and i wont tell you the price they wanted to do it.

so good ol' stick your foot in your mouth me say "heck i could make them" and guess what im doing today and the next few.

pictures show the starting pile and the pieces and the first one i made to see if they liked it.

my first style and rail project after owning a set of bits for about 18 yrs and was too scared to try them. ive got a black and blue butt after trying and seeing how easy they are to use.

well better go make some more dust and i have to design a cap for the newells. i have to make 7 in all.

thanks for looking

kendall

cant seem to get pics to post will try later

·
kendall
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
finally got pictures to load

i guess im to old for this computer i always forget how to upload the pictures from my camera and then resize to a different file and then find them to up load them.

finally after 3 tries finally got them to work

i hope

kendall

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Excellent looking post. Looks like you are planning to make quite a few of these.

How do you plan to attach the bannister?

Also, a couple of close-ups of the joints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

·
kendall
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kj

i installed a 2 x 4 into the floor system before we hung the drywall to get a solid mount.

i plan on building out the 2 x 4 to the inside dimensions and slide the boxed newells down over the top of it.

ill try to remember the camera when i do the install.

ill try to get a close up of the joints also

kendall

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Looks good so far Kendall! I also find the more you say, "Heck, I can make that" out loud the more projects seem to pile up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I built the newels for my house. I ran a threaded rod down the middle and floated the banister. I can move the whole system out of the way by removing two nuts.

Also turned all the spindles and laid up the bead.

·
kendall
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
making progress

im making al ittle progress on the boxed newells.

kj wanted a closeup of the joints.

i mitred the corners and used stile and rail for the panel assemblys.

i guess you could say i made 28 doors to get enough to make 7 newells.

will post some pic after theyre stained

thanks for looking

kendall

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts