Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I have a question that may be simple for some but since I am just getting back into wood working I am at a loss. I picked up the Summer of 2013 Woodsmith magazine titled "Ultimate table saw handbook" I built the sled and I am working on the box jig add on. Any way it calls for a 1/4" x 1/4" pin and it's set a 1/4" from the blade I made the first cut but since my blade isn't a 1/4" wide it obviously doesn't let me place it over the pin to make the second cut. Am I wrong in thinking the pin needs to be same width of the blade kerf? Or do you use a 1/4" dado blade, but who wants to run a 1/4" Dado blade through the sled.

What am I doing wrong?

Here is the box jig attachment

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would hate to run a dado stack through such a nice sled but based on the 1/4" "pin" and the design, yes you have to if you want to use that sled for box joints. The only other option would be to make a dedicated box joint sled/jig but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
you are right. a 1/4" pin would be for 1/4" box joints, hence the need for a 1/4" dado blade set-up. or, you could match the pin width to match your blade kerf width. i like the replaceable backerboard arrangement. nice jig.

most box joint jigs do not have a bottom, just the miter gauge attachment. that sled being the beauty that it is, i would just use the box joint jig on the miter gauge alone, without the sled.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guy's, the article was misleading but I guess I learned I better think things through first in advance. I will modify it to fit on miter gauge.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What if you used two 1/8th pins, with the second one being removable? I dont know how you could attach the second pin in a way that it would be stable and sturdy and still easily removable, but would that work?

·
Registered
291 Posts
To address another of your questions, here's my procedure.
Make a cut in scrap. Measure that notch because it's carved in steel. I use a micrometer. Set both the gap and the key to that measurement and it will work perfectly.
Miss it by as little as .003" and after a few inches along the cut and the fingers wont mesh.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Make a cut in scrap. Measure that notch because it's carved in steel. I use a micrometer. Set both the gap and the key to that measurement and it will work perfectly.
Miss it by as little as .003" and after a few inches along the cut and the fingers wont mesh.
If you cut each corner in pairs, the tolerances may stack like you are saying, however the "matched pair" will fit perfectly as they are clamped together offset by your pin width which doesn't change so they stay in perfect alignment. I mark the top edge of each corner, 1/1, 2/2, ... and place the numbers next to the pin, otherwise trouble...You're right about the close tolerance of the pin width to the slot being critical to the fit. That's what scrap is for. :smile:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm sure blade runner knows this, but if your new to making box joints, it's a good idea to run your scrap through the planer at the same time, through the same side of the planer as the wood for the box. While not absolutely critical, it will allow you to easily dial in your blade height so pins are ever so slightly proud at each corner as it is a lot easier to sand the ends slightly, rather than thinning the sides of the box by sanding, or other methods when flushing everything up

·
Registered
994 Posts
I tried to make a backer plate that could shift left and right a bit to open up one blade width to make a 1/4" slot. No matter how carefully I tweaked it I couldn't get enough of the play out to make it useful for box joints. Move to a 1/4" dado stack and it'll get easy.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I believe that if you keep the mating boards referenced on the same edge (e.g. the bottoms to the right), the tolerances won't stack on you and though off the mesh.

another way to keep the tolerances minimized, is to apply english in the same direction. that is apply some pressure to your stock to the right (or the left) against the pin as you pass through the cut, just keep it the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts