Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His is my first use of my scorpion hollowing tools.
Still need to bleach it and going to add a king wood accent ring on the opening.

image-1289983452.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tim 562 good looking HF. I would not bleach but rather high lite the patch with the grain tear out with some texturing and a dash of red stain. Finish with a satin varnish. Regards Roger

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have a home made version of the scorpion hollowing tool. I almost broke my wrist with it early on. Had a big sphere explode from a catch. man that hurt, still remember it. I've used it a lot since then but have now gone to captured bar systems for most of my larger hollowing.
did you use a scraper on the outside. Lots of tearout. You can stop that with cutting tools and maybe use some thinned lacquer to firm up the soft areas. Box Elder is bad about tearout. Even with sharp tools you can't force the cut at all. I really slow down my feeding force and if I can switch to a tool with a sharper angle on the tip. I will usually try my 40 degree bowl gouge or the 35 degree spindle gouge or switch to my Hunter Hercules and use it in bevel rubbing mode. One of those changes along with 2 or 3 coats of thinned Lacquer will usually take care of box elder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts