Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished this box elder bowl today. Not your typical box elder, hardly any red streaks, but nice golden tones. It was probably 1/2" taller, but I thought I would do something on the rim with my skew, that didn't go as planned. Then I tried another tool that ended up catching, finally I cut the grooves carefully and that part was done. Carved the initial straight lines and decided to burn the grooves with a formica sample and that worked ok. Tried to burn the little carved lines with my woodburner, that didn't work as planned. So I went over all the lines and carved them a little deeper to clean up the burned ones. Then I decided to add the diagonal lines. I was going to try some more woodburning, but decided to end on a good note. It measures 10 1/4" x 4".
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
From over here, I can't see all the mis-steps along the way -- it just looks like an attractive bowl with a nicely decorated rim.

I was going to try some more woodburning, but decided to end on a good note.
LOL ... Been there, done that!

After a few attempts to clean up the mess I made, I eventually get the hint that I should "quit while I'm ahead" :laughing:

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
It is a very nice looking bowel. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
mike thats another beautiful bowl
im curious how you lay the lines out and get them to come out even
i would end up with the last 2 to close together :eek:

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mike thats another beautiful bowl
im curious how you lay the lines out and get them to come out even
i would end up with the last 2 to close together :eek:
Lucky guess. I was using the distance between the two grooves as a starting point. It happened to work out. I have had the 2 last lines be too close together. Just have to erase some and make some adjustments.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
7,222 Posts
Nice looking bowl. I like the rim decoration. I have a couple of wide rim bowls just itching for some rim decoration. Thanks for the inspiration. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice bow! The carving adds a lot to the bowl. I use to try to carve before I started turning. Now,I have an idea, but I'd probably mess up a turned bowl trying to carve on it.

Reactions: firehawkmph

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Beautiful Bowl Mike :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: firehawkmph

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike, this has got to be my favorite one of yours so far... the form is amazing. What carving tool did you use for the rim?
Bond,
It's a v-shaped Pfeil. I only own two of their chisels. That one and a shallow round one I do the flutes with. They're kinda pricey so I only buy them as needed. I have a wooden mallet with a hard rubber outside on it that I use. Very fun to do and really doesn't take that long.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts