Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a fan of live-edge furniture, but there is a piece of them that I find interesting - the bow ties, which handle the checking on the boards.

A while back, I found on this forum a bowtie bench, and I liked the overall form of the design. I tried finding it again to post a link to the inspiration, so if anyone knows please tell me so I can give credit. But I tossed it around a little bit and this is the design I produced.

The left leg sits 3 inches above the seat, the others are only 1 inch. It measures 16x32" (roughly 7 1/2" in the middle), and the top of the seat is at 17" above the ground.

I played around with the shape of the legs a lot and am still not completely satisfied with them. Comments and suggestions are highly encouraged.

If there is a psychologist on the forum that can tell me why I keep focusing on designing benches that would be helpful too.:icon_confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice design. Three leg designs are prone to tipping when someone sits outside the line between leg footprints. Likely on the near end. I'd worry about the sharp exposed top corners impaling friend and pets. The end boards may give you expansion/contraction problems with the main boards running 90 degrees to them.

Great thought exercise though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts