Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying my first bowl, it's walnut and I know I can look on YouTube but thought I'd see what wisdom you fine folks can share.
How or what is the best way of flipping this to hollow the inside? Did I make a mistake by putting linseed oil on the bottom already? Seemed the best time to do it.
I put thin CA in the few small cracks that were in it. Would medium have been better?
Lots more questions than I thought :) I appreciate any assistance and feed back, thank you.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

·
Generic Weeb
997 Posts
Nice looking bowl but I wouldn't have put a finish on it yet. I would turn the tenon on the back a little straighter then mount it in a chuck to turn the inside. That's the norm (as well as what I normally do) as far as I'm aware. If you don't have a chuck to mount it in.... Then break out a crook and get to town on it I guess. Looks nice for a first bowl though, well done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice looking bowl but I wouldn't have put a finish on it yet. I would turn the tenon on the back a little straighter then mount it in a chuck to turn the inside. That's the norm (as well as what I normally do) as far as I'm aware. If you don't have a chuck to mount it in.... Then break out a crook and get to town on it I guess. Looks nice for a first bowl though, well done.
Thank you for the kind words. I do have a chuck, how deep does the tenon need to be? I have tried a couple of times to make the tenon but struggle with it. Looking back I should have done this differently, trued it the tenon then hollow the inside. Learn, learn, learn. :)
Thanks much for the advice.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Another option is to cut a recess in the foot and use your chuck in expansion mode. That way you don't mess up the shape that you already have. The trick though is to get the chuck centered so that the inside of the bowl will be concentric with the outside. I do that by attaching the drive center to the tailstock with the bowl still mounted and presenting it to the chuck. Otherwise, you'll have to turn the outside of the bowl again once it's flipped around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, got a small tenon on the bottom which did kind of mess up my bowls foot but I'll fix that. Got the inside hollowed and I'm pretty pleased for my first go. If I can get past the catches I will really be happy.
Now to flip it and finish the foot and wax it then done :)
Thanks so much for all the advice, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Nice looking bowl. Glad you got the tenon worked out.
Stuart Batty has about 30 excellent videos on Vimeo about 10-15 minutes each.
He has three on chucks, tenons, and recesses. I suggest taking a look as he covers tenons and recesses in clear detail (how and why).
If new, I suggest all of the series which I think is the bulk of The Seven Fundamentals of Turning.

https://vimeo.com/woodturning/videos/sort:alphabetical/format:thumbnail

Reactions: ejmolitor37
1 - 9 of 9 Posts