Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago about buying an old Powermatic 90 lathe.

I bought it yesterday and got it all put back together. It came with a technatool nova chuck and 4 faceplates with the standard wrenches. It's wired up for 220v but I only have 110v now. So I think I'm going to change it to 110v while I get the 220 line run.
Does anyone have any info they can share with me on this lathe? It's new to me and any info you can share will help me out !

Attachments

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Is that what those looked like when they were made or has that been painted? It looks like it came out of the John Deere factory!! Nothing runs like a Deere!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Nice lathe. You can find the parts manual online. Just do a search for Powermatic Model 90 parts manual. I found it the other day when trying to fix the lathes at our local school. It's actually the owners manual so it will tell you quite a bit about your lathe.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

It came with the manuals, one old and one a few years newer for the lathe. And the manual for the chuck.

I was hoping to see if yall had any experience with this lathe. Or any tips about the reeves drive. I've never used one before

·
7,222 Posts
I was hoping to see if yall had any experience with this lathe. Or any tips about the reeves drive. I've never used one before
Congratulations on the lathe. Nice piece of old iron.

I have only read about Reeves drive for variable speed. This is a mechanical method of changing speed which means you can only adjust the speed while the lathe is running.

Be aware that when you turn the lathe off at high rpm when doing a spindle and then want to mount a bowl, you have to remember to turn the lathe on without anything on it, and then lower the speed to get ready for the bowl. Not a real big deal but can be dangerous.

From what I have read the Reeves drives are solid enough to last forever.

I am thinking I read somewhere about frequent lubrication, but cannot find the thread. Since you have the manual this should be part of the maintenance items.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You will enjoy that lathe!
I have 2 lathes with Reeve drives. NO problems. One is an Oliver that is pretty much like yours. Might be a good idea to find/figure out what belt is equivalent to your drive belt and have one in reserve. You don't have to have a factory original (=expensive), there are plenty of belt vendors online with much better prices--with mine, $20 was way better than $80 or so. (My clue that it was time was slippage)
The owners manual ought to have any lube questions covered-shouldn't require much.
As I recall from reading--should be able to rewire yours to 110v, might cost you a little in the way of hp, but should be ample for your needs--just takes a knowledgeable electrician.
As was pointed out earlier, the slow speed which I think is 600ish might be a bit fast for blanks that aren't exactly true.
Dave H

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cuerodoc said:
You will enjoy that lathe!
I have 2 lathes with Reeve drives. NO problems. One is an Oliver that is pretty much like yours. Might be a good idea to find/figure out what belt is equivalent to your drive belt and have one in reserve. You don't have to have a factory original (=expensive), there are plenty of belt vendors online with much better prices--with mine, $20 was way better than $80 or so. (My clue that it was time was slippage)
The owners manual ought to have any lube questions covered-shouldn't require much.
As I recall from reading--should be able to rewire yours to 110v, might cost you a little in the way of hp, but should be ample for your needs--just takes a knowledgeable electrician.
As was pointed out earlier, the slow speed which I think is 600ish might be a bit fast for blanks that aren't exactly true.
Dave H
I think the reeves drive will make me happy. I can't wait to use it. I spent all last night cleaning it up and taking things apart. Today I think I'm going to drop the motor and figure out how to change the wires around for the 110v

I'm alittle unsure how to get the belt off. I'll have to read threw the manual again but when I did the first time, the directions left me guessing.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well if its like my Oliver, you'll need to get it up to the fast speed and turn it off-- the top pulley will be wide, gives more room to work. You may want to have 1-2 small pieces of wood to act as spacers to maintain the pulley width, the spring in those is rather stout/hard to pull apart (trust me I "just" know). It's the same process with my shopfox(grizzly) except much smaller belt.
DO not change the speed with the pulley stopped, you can do so by turning the pulley by hand.
Hope I saved you from some exasperation that I went through.
Dave H

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cuerodoc said:
Well if its like my Oliver, you'll need to get it up to the fast speed and turn it off-- the top pulley will be wide, gives more room to work. You may want to have 1-2 small pieces of wood to act as spacers to maintain the pulley width, the spring in those is rather stout/hard to pull apart (trust me I "just" know). It's the same process with my shopfox(grizzly) except much smaller belt.
DO not change the speed with the pulley stopped, you can do so by turning the pulley by hand.
Hope I saved you from some exasperation that I went through.
Dave H
I got the belt off and motor out. I had to take off the headstock as we'll but that was easy. I changed the wires around and got it all put back together. Tomorrow I will be able to turn my first bowl on this lathe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts