Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I ordered a batch of bottle stopper kits from Craft Supplies last week. I got them yesterday and realized that their stud is larger in diameter than those that I previously got from Woodcraft. This means that my mandrel is too small.

I could purchase the larger at Woodcraft, however, if I need to buy a new mandrel, I'd like it to be the kind that threads onto my spindle and doesn't need my jacobs chuck.

I've only found one at Penn State Industries and it's not the size I need.

Where have you purchased yours?

Thanks for any / all help! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
Do you know if you can use a morse taper mandres in a nova chuck? I use a shopsmith and there isn't a morese taper in the headstock.
The mandrel I linked from Ruth Niles has a flat area between the threaded end for the stopper blank and the morse taper.

I have used my spigot jaws to tighten on this flat area.

If you are lucky and can find a bolt which runs true, you can use this in lieu of a mandrel.

This is what the mandrel looks like.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Ruth Niles sells a mandrel designed to be used in a morse taper or in a scroll chuck. It looks like the one Dave posted a pic of. I tried using mine in my G3 chuck and I didnt like it. It kept slipping out of the chuck. Now I only use it in the morse taper with a draw bar.

Reactions: clpead

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Do you know if you can use a morse taper mandres in a nova chuck? I use a shopsmith and there isn't a morese taper in the headstock.
Aaron, you might be better off starting with a pen mandrel designed for the Shopsmith (I have one, think I got it from Penn State) and adapting it to work for the bottle stoppers you want to make.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts