Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a free Bosch 4000 TS but the fence is missing. I can't afford a Bessemeyer, and I can't make one due to not having a welder etc. the factory fence is showing unavailable, and no one is selling parts that I can find.

What do I do?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I replaced the fence on my Craftsman contractor saw with an Incra fence system, if you think you can use the old fence on your Bosch, maybe we can come to terms.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Can you mount a aftermarket fence to that? Isn't the fence rail integral to the top? A picture of your saw might help...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will post picture shortly, I think I could, possibly. The issue is $ and resources. I can't afford a Bessemeyer not can I weld and tap steel.

I have a piece of aluminum angle iron but its 3/4 inch wide on each side and 8 foot long. Don't think it would be strong enough.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sarge240. the model # is:113.299112 circa 1995

the rails may be a bit long for you saw, but they could be cut shorter for convienience.(sp).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rails may not fit my saw. It looks like it is rounded not squared, not sure if it would work. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The front rail is flat where it connects to the saw. the rounded part is where the fence rests and glides on.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks woodnthings. Back order from factory.

It was late.....I wasn't thinkin clearly apparently. How much for the fence?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Burt, I contacted the Craig's list seller in Wyoming, and he is sending me the OEM fence, $59 plus shipping.

I found a zero clearance insert on amazon for $30, which has 61 reviews at 5 stars.

I found a Irving knife on "shark guard" website for $40 which is the standard thickness at .105

So far she is coming together slowly but surely. I still need to resurface the top. They had tape all over it. Any suggestions for resurfacing? I heard 320 grit sandpaper and steel wool.

I have an old 1000/4000 grit Japanese water stone. I could rub that over the surface to polish it, any ideas?

Thanks gentleman

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts
As far as I know .....

That saw is the same as mine and it has an aluminum top. It will not work to polish it with a stone.:no:
I think the top is Teflon coated and really shouldn't need any surfacing because then you will have some areas with Teflon and some without. Just live with it as best you can would be my advice. I called about a deep scratch and they said there is nothing that can be done. A local dent or ding could be filled with Epoxy if you really want it perfect. but you run the risk of sanding through the Teflon to get it flat.... :thumbdown:
Teflon or whatever it is is applied at the factory and under heated conditions probably like a sprayed on powder coat....I donno? It may indeed be a type of powder coat.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I have the sticky parts if tape all over it. There are dings and scratches in the top already. As far as I can remember, aluminum is able to be polished with steel wool and sand paper. I once ported and polished an aluminum cylinder head, and had the machine shop port match and flow bench it.

If Teflon was originally on the top, I doubt seriously that it still has a coat, or at minimum, an even coat.

Basically I have to resurface it somehow. I can't run boards across tape remnants.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay guys, to remove tape gum residue from an aluminum TS top, these are the products you can use with different results.

WD40 and a razor blade
Rubbing alcohol
Vegetable oil
Diesel gasoline
Mineral oil
Goo off
Paint thinner

I have oil, WD40 and mineral oil. I will try one at a time in small areas to see if it works.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Okay guys, to remove tape gum residue from an aluminum TS top, these are the products you can use with different results.

WD40 and a razor blade
Rubbing alcohol
Vegetable oil
Diesel gasoline
Mineral oil
Goo off
Paint thinner

I have oil, WD40 and mineral oil. I will try one at a time in small areas to see if it works.
Goof Off then polish will Johnson's paste wax. I wouldn't sand the top at all. If it is that bad, maybe a body shop can help you OR order a replacement top. Good to here the craigslist guy in wyoming worked out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea thanks Burt for the lead.

I plan to purchase the Delta T-2 fence but I just need to get the saw up and running to replace my not so good craftsman. It has less than 3/8ths miter slot with tabs to hold the miter gauge in place. The top is NOT flat at all, and there is no room for anything larger than a 6 inch dado set.

The Bosch is as close to a hybrid cabinet saw as you can get when compared to the craftsman 10" contractor saw.

I'll pick up some goof off and get to work tonight.

I do have a question though... Why is sanding/ using steel wool such a bad idea? It's a cast aluminum top, which is much better than stamped aluminum. I just don't see why it would be a bad thing.

I have polished aluminum Intercoolers, turbo housings, cylinder heads, and piping with sand paper and steel wool with no negative effects. I'm am almost certain any Teflon coating is gone considering the shape the surface is currently in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts