Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KMS Tools in Vancouver, BC, Canada is offering a Bosch 12 inch sliding compound miter saw this month for $479.95. [BOB-5412L].I have read good things about this saw on other threads in the forum, and basically it seems to be a toss up between the Bosch and the Dewalt, [DEW-DW718]Which KMS is currently offering for $579.95.

I have been eyeballing these saws for awhile now, trying to justify it to myself, but this is the best price I have yet seen, and has me doing a slow drool.

What are your thoghts on the saws and the price.

Thanks

Gerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the 10" model. The only possible down side is the weight. The thing is a beast. On the plus side, the accuracy is crazy good. Being able to set it against the wall without need for clearance in the back is a plus. If you haven't done so already, you should review the specs for both the 10 and 12 models. It might surprise you how little you gain with a 12 compared to the 10, unless you have your specific reasons for wanting one. Cutting flat stock or trimming off a hair is a joy. You can't go wrong either way IMHO.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
That is a lot of money to pay for a SCMS. The only drawback to my 10" that I paid under $200 for is that it does need space out from the wall. Otherwise it had exactly done every job I have asked it to.

George

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is a lot of money to pay for a SCMS. The only drawback to my 10" that I paid under $200 for is that it does need space out from the wall. Otherwise it had exactly done every job I have asked it to.

George
I agree that it's a lot. For me it was the "cry once" attitude. Since I got it, the saw is nothing but a pleasure to use. Accurate and repeatable without fail. I guess it depends on what you want. In my experience, Bosch makes professional grade products. However, I have also used a Black and Decker model that was inexpensive. It had a few quirks, but also worked fine.
I have always had the opinion that if it's your hobby, you should get the one you want. I don't consider it excessive, and am not recommending always getting the most expensive model. Just simply saying that if finances allow, because you have worked many years and otherwise do not waste your money, you should get the one you want. I can honestly say that I have long since forgotten the cost, and really enjoy using it.

Let us know what you decide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts