Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used bora edge clamps??? Thinking about buying some for crosscutting table tops that don't fit on my table saw.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Anyone used bora edge clamps??? Thinking about buying some for crosscutting table tops that don't fit on my table saw.....
I have some and do not like them. They are not self squaring. I think the ones by Emerson are much better but have never used them. The Bora have a pivoting head and are advertised as having 22 1/2 degrees of movement either side of square..

George

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I had a set of clamps like those and used them to run a saw against till I made a fixture for it. Mine didn't clamp tight enough to trust. Before I built a sled I used to lay them back to back and cut table tops with them on my Unisaw. Easy way to square the ends after glue up.

Bora probably makes a stronger grip because that was the down side of clamps like that in the past.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Can't comment on the Bora brand but others I've used have a slight amount of play left to right. The clamp faces are small and don't hold firmly. Plastic parts break easily. Just a straight board or piece of plywood clamped to the work eliminates all those problems and gives other advantages. Read the description on McFeeley's, it says "new clamps are stronger so there is less deflection". I don't want any deflection, not to mention slipping or complete grip failure.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/176...17683&ef_id=UXQOTAAABbvdhidh:20131222133042:s

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have one of the new 50" wide track models and it works fine, no flexing in the middle. The wide tracks do not have the pivoting head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts