Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would think long term and post the whole process of one of my projects. This thread will probably last a year, if the good Lord let's me last that long because that's how long it will take to make this table.
I sawed the top out today on the sawmill. I will update as things progress.

Phase One was logging the tree:
Nature reserve Jungle Natural environment Tree Forest

And hauling it home . . . .
Tree Roasting Grilling Wood Barbecue grill

And hauling it to the mill . . . . .
Tire Automotive tire Tree Vehicle Grass

Phase Two is sawing out the slabs:
Art Modern art Wood Painting

and deciding how to take the thrid side for the bookmatch. I am not always happy with how I choose but I like the way I did it this time. Nakashima might have left a little natural edge and opening in the middle and been able to make it look good but he is world class and I am a nobody so I did not attempt it. :no:
Art T-shirt Mural Fictional character

I will update as I go along.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
That is what is so cool about having a mill. When you make project it is "start to finish" literally. The only thing we could do is plant the tree seed to make it more complete. Felling/milling/drying/designing/building...adds another dimension to woodworking for sure.
Awesome red box elder btw.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is that amount of astounding color a common occurrence around y'all? Up here we see a little bit now and then, but never anything like that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Texas T.
That is just beautiful, made my day can't wait to see more.

Bruce.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thats cool.
How much a board foot is that?
Has anybody else noticed that those two peices look like outstretched arms. Kinda creepy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anybody else noticed that those two peices look like outstretched arms. Kinda creepy.
That's the first thing I saw too! I think I see eyes and fingers as well:eek:

Just beautiful figure in the wood. Great topic as well showing the entire process. Like he said it will take some time, but all good things are worth a wait.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess you inject dyes, etc. into the trees as they are growing?
The "dye" is injected naturally Joe, by the Ambrosia Beetle. Without their participation there would be no red. Notice the red streaks occur only where there is an exit/entry hole from the beetle. Where there are red streaks but no apparent holes, rest assured there is a hole somewhere that you can't see.

I must admit though, there is some other phenomenon or combination of them that makes the box elder here in this one single patch, much more prolific and consistent than anywhere else on the planet so far as I have found. I cannot even find box elder anywhere in my own little county that has any red at all except for on this one particular acerage.

I think I have figured out why after much study and thought.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts