Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Still got all 10
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Here it is, Maple sides, Black Walnut top, Mahogany shelves.

I carved the lattice in the bottom shelves from a solid piece,(pain in the butt), made real lattice for backs of shelves,(lesser pain in butt).
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks awsome! :thumbsup: How long did it take you to carve that lattice work???:huh:

·
Still got all 10
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first one I drilled a hole, used a jig saw to square the holes, and then just used a chisel, Second one I dug my drill press out and set up the mortise and that was a lot faster, about 2 hours, first one was about 4.

Gary

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Very cool! I think book shelf project and I think eh, nice utilitarian project, kinda boring. Then I see yours and think, hell yeah. That's how you spice something up. Good work!

·
Registered
2 Posts
nice

Love the wood choices. Don't know that I'd bother with lattice detail but then sometimes I'm lazy. You, however have created a master piece.

·
Still got all 10
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I get that, Streamwinner.
I did that because I wanted to curve in the sides, but all the figure was at the outside of the piece, so I book matched the board and cut away unfigured wood.
The Maple stands on it's own, but when you book match it, the eye is drawn to it all the more.
Gary

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,282 Posts
Hey, I get that, Streamwinner.
I did that because I wanted to curve in the sides, but all the figure was at the outside of the piece, so I book matched the board and cut away unfigured wood.
The Maple stands on it's own, but when you book match it, the eye is drawn to it all the more.
Gary
Yes, definitely a very nice, dramatic effect.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Gary, that is a sweet piece! I really dig the lattice. I have considered doing that myself, but I've never really had a piece to do it on where it would have been appropriate. And I am a great fan of creativity when it comes to bookshelves!:yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts