Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forums and just looking for some advice. I have a project I'm working on and really not sure the best way to bond a particular joint or joints. I have a picture here for you which would be easier then trying to explain. thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah yes I forgot it's 3/4 "mdf. I have an idea what I'm going to do but I'm not sure yet since I haven't gotten a chance to try it so I figured I ask the more experienced. Btw I'm not talking bout like type of glue I'm wondering best way to clamp and keep them in place etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No I'm going to glue it just trying to figure out how to clamp it without it sliding apart plus the angle of the piece, my clamps wouldn't have a spot to sit flat on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's to a home theater sound system. I'm not very familiar with what you talking about but i have an idea. I'll look it up so i can better understand.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
That's a difficult box to clamp......whats the exterior going to be finished with? rough MDF?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd use glue and a pin nailer....mdf is going to look kinda lousy unfinished anyhow...

·
Registered
36 Posts
You cannot make a finished project with raw mdf. A home theater sound system that no one will ever touch or rub against?
Either lacquer or paint is a must.

I'm wondering why the pieces on the left are not configured the same as on the right. It would be easier to keep them the same.

As for the outside corner. It would be easier to clamp up if you leave the top and side long where it would meet at a 90 degree corner. Then you can clamp the inner piece to the outside and cut it off flush after.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i'd use a biscuit jointer and glue. you can probably build a clamping jig for the 45 deg angle, if your clamps won't work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts