Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've never used B.L.O. before so any advice would be very helpful... I know purty wide open thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Just like the Karate Kid -- Wipe on. Wipe off.:laughing:

When I use BLO I usually thin it with up to 50% MS to get faster penetration. I'll flood it on the project, wait a few minutes and wipe any excess off. On some woods like oak you may need to wipe again after 30-60 minutes if some of the oil is seeping out of the wood. Same thing for knots.

It imparts a nice amber tone to wood and I use it a lot on white oak. It will continue to darken with age so keep that in mind.

It needs at least 24 hours and often longer (depending on conditions) to fully dry before proceeding with top coats.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that is actually exactly what I'm finishing that and osage orange

·
Registered
107 Posts
You brought my memory back when i used BLO for the first time. I was reading about it and how you can use it to make your own stain. So i went to the grocery store to get some. LOL
I mean its an oil from a linseed and i can boil it my self. Hahaha

·
Registered
26,215 Posts
Step one with blo is to put a clothes pin on your nose. Then rubber gloves. Then wipe a coat of it on wipe the excess off and wait a few days in this weather and put another coat on. You just keep applying it until you get the finish you like. The best thing you can do is prior to finishing is to sand the wood to 400 grit paper. It helps if you also dampen the wood between each grit change sanding it to make the sanding more effective.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
As mentioned, it's a wipe on/wait a few minutes, then wipe off job. It does pay to wait until it cures to top coat, if that's your intention. I also thin mine about 50%, not so much for penetration...it's just easier for me to handle when it's a little thinner.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was advised to use it on a tool I'm making because I normally use wipe on poly but as it is being put on a tool that would eventually chip off so I was told to use danish or linseed oil but maybe I do need a top coat or something all I know is I am not happy with the finish I'm getting should I act like it's a cutting board and add some parafin or something I'm used to the shine that poly gives me ????? help please:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks, that's why I was asking. For a tool, hit it with two coats of BLO let it dry a few days and if you absolutely need a topcoat you could put one coat of shellac on it. I wouldn't even do that. I always try to caution against BLO because of the way it continues to darken or blacken wood over time. Its just not a fine furniture finish in my eyes. Ting oil is a great alternative that doesn't continue to darken like BLO. what kind of tool is it? That may help with better advice.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks a lot Tyler I sanded it down yesterday all the way to 400 grit and you could still see the linseed oil on it so I'm just going to add one more coat on it and hope my recipient is happy with it its a mallet for the mallet swap btw thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts