Woodworking Talk banner

Boeshield Rust Free vs. Naval Jelly

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  tewitt1949 
#1 ·
I am preparing/planning to restore (with this rotten weather, there is not much else I can do in the shop) some of my older woodworking machines. I am look for the best and most cost effective method to remove rust (other than electrolysis) and had a question about Boeshield Rust Free vs. Naval Jelly. I spoke to Loctite about Naval Jelly, and they confirmed it needed to be removed with water, where Boeshield RF could be wiped off. Looking at the MSDS it appears Rust Free contains 20-30% phosphoric acid where naval jelly contains 10-30% phosphoric acid. Any idea why one product requires a water rinse, where the other does not?

Thanks,
Rob

#4 ·
Interesting about the Evapo-rust. The MSDS indicates it is a chelator (binds metal ions) as opposed to a strong acid. This sounds like it might be a better option, although I always though it was more expensive and required a ton of volume to use. I am continuing to learn new stuff on the forum every day!
Do you spray this on your jointer/planer/table saw tops, soak a rag with it and place on the tops or flood the tops with this product?

#6 ·
I've done a few of these recessitations. Had very good luck with common diesel fuel, and metalworking sandpaper. I kept the tops soaked, and continued hand-sanding. Used 150 grit, down to 400 grit. Cleaned frequently with WD 40, and finished up with Boeshield. I now spray on a little Boeshield and rub it in, now and then.

#7 ·
I had a nice red coat of rust on my table saw when I got it. I sanded it down with emory cloth and waxed it ti keep it from rusting again. You can't use just any old wax like car wax. I use Renaissance wax but you can also use Johnsons Floor wax.

Don

#8 ·
You can also experiment with 'The Must for Rust', sold at Home Depot. I've also used a CLR type product (the Zep brand stuff in the blue jug, also sold at HD). I usually use these with steel wool or a scotchbrite pad. They both seem to work about the same for me (but they both work well).

Both of them need a soap and water rinse, as they will give a slight 'flash rust' after using, but they will remove rust below the surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.