Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
just a dude
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running behind this year on putting together a few Christmas presents, so I thought I'd do a few things on the scroll saw and maybe finally get around to trying out the lathe. I should've gone with the scroll saw first because I can't get my mind off of the lathe since I tried it.

My first pen was laughable but I'll post it anyway. I tried using walnut heartwood and sapwood.

The one's after that looked better but made me want to go fishing. I'm starting on some less bulbous ones now. These are oak, walnut, and cherry finished with lacquer.

Rob

Attachments

·
This Space For Rent
819 Posts
Those are definitely unique Rob. The center one in the bottom pic could be a plum bob. Keep working with the lathe and you can sell that old scroll saw.:smile:

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,373 Posts
Keep working with the lathe and you can sell that old scroll saw.:smile:
Hey! Hey! Easy on the selling of the scroll saw comments!!!! :laughing:
Great work Rob. My pens have always been traditional shapes and sizes. I've never thought of beefing up the wood of the blank and changing it up a bit. Great work. I'm going to have to try that. What did you finish them with?
Ken

·
just a dude
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The center one in the bottom pic could be a plum bob.
Ha! You're right. Maybe I'll put a string on that one. You could find plum and mark it at the same time.:laughing:

Ken, I made them like that just because I was having fun trying out techniques and cutters. I find that I really need practice with the skew. They're finished with EEE wax and a I rubbed on a few coats of satin lacquer. It's amazing how fast that stuff dries on the lathe. BTW, after I saw Tim's scroll saw comment, I knew you weren't going to let him get away with that.:laughing:

Here's one I did this morning, all the while chanting a mesmerizing "Less bulbous, less bulbous, less..." to myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
great work Rob! :thumbsup: and don't worry... most of us need practice with a skew :laughing:

·
Registered
912 Posts
You could find plum and mark it at the same time.:laughing:
That one made me laugh! Rob those are nice. Pens are addictive because you can complete one relatively quickly. I think it's nice to experiment with different shapes as you may stumble onto something that is unique and quite comfortable. I tend to make mine very traditional but keep up the good work and try to pull out the scroll saw once in awhile if for no other reason than to appease Ken!:laughing: Don't let him know but mine is still in the box!

John

·
Registered
680 Posts
Rob, Great work, its all about having fun. As long as you are enjoying what you do who cares what they look like. Pens are fun to do because they don't take long and you can be as creative as your mind will let you. Keep up the good work, and keep the projects coming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts