Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is some pics of a trunk lid. I think the finish came up pretty blotchy. However, there seems to be some grain sticking up in many places. The rest of the trunk has the same exact finish and came fairly even. Anyway can I sand this down and fix it, or is it best to buy some better wood?

What I used:
Minwax wood conditioner
Minwax walnut stain
General finishes, arm-r-seal semi-gloss top coat

The finish isn't dry in the pics, fyi.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
straight mineral spirits work beter than minwax conditioner.also on wood like that you need to tone the light areas, using a gel stain is better for that. i prefure a gell its esier to blend color.with a penatrating stain after putting it on you get what it gives you.
i agree with starting over and better wood.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What sanding grit did you use? It almost looks like you went too fine and the lighter sections of the wood would not take the stain. A coarser grit might have given you a more uniform (and much darker) color.

Brian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your wood looks like pine. On pine sand to 180 grit and stop. I use a shellac 1 pound cut for my conditioner coat. It seals the wood so most of the dark spots will not take stain as well. Test this on a piece of scrap. You may need another coat of shellac to get rid of all the dark spot. Gel stain is a lot easier to use in my book. Additional coats of shellac over the top of your stain can also help you fill the grain. Sand with 220 of even 320 between coats. When the grain is filled to your liking. Sand final coat with whatever grit you were using and put several top coats of your finish on. In some cases, depending on what my top coat is, I will use a 2 pound cut of shellac to seal the stain.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i dont think SEALING the wood b4 staining is a very good idea. then your lighter area's wont exept hardly any stain and your right back wher you started.
the only time i would SEAL the wood first is if i was doing a glaze over it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Something doesn't seem right - 180 grit sand on pine + walnut stain should result in a very dark color. If the overall color was very dark the blotches would hardly stand out. Was the sanding disk full or dull?

Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
New disc. the stain directions actually recommend 220 grit. The finish is a little darker, I took the pics with a camera phone and I flooded it with light.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts