Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened? Please see pics. Cabinets were pre-stain conditioned but turned out horribly. We were thinking about Alder but went with Cherry to avoid this. Can anything be done to make it better. The sample door in the lower right was what we were going for. Please help. Thanks Property Room Countertop Furniture Tile

Hardwood Wood Wood stain Furniture Room

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
Sometimes a wood conditioner isn't enough. You would have better luck getting a uniform stain job if you would stain it with a dye rather than an oil stain. Also some brands of oil stains are more prone to blotch than others. It's entirely possible a different brand of stain would have worked fine. Now the only solution is to chemically strip and sand the doors and start over.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Cherry and maple are 2 common blotch-prone woods used in a lot of furniture.
The tight grain changes direction a lot, it will absorb a lot more stain wherever it's not parallel to the surface.
The solution in mass-production factories and shops is simple and works like a charm.
Spray quick drying lacquer-based stain on and do not wipe for perfect consistency.
I have no idea what you used, but have had some success with this method of correcting blotchy stain jobs.
Pour copious amounts of lacquer thinner or acetone on the wood and a rag and wash/dilute the stain so it sinks further into the wood and disperses.
You may get lucky enough to lighten it enough so that it can then be sprayed to a consistent color.
It's a lot easier than sanding it all off, and you have nothing to lose but a little solvent.

·
Registered
629 Posts
What pre-conditioner, what stain did ya use.
I use a wash coat of 1 pound dewaxed shellac prior to stain, and I shy away from MinWax stains.
Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Minwax stain was used. The contractor I think has found a remedy that I believe involves something like the lacquer process described above. A re-done door just brought by looks great.

Unfortunately a lot of time and effort has been mis-spent. Lessons will be learned from this project. Fingers crossed that we can finish the whole thing soon. Thanks for all the advice to all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts