Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of 90 year old matching doors. I didn't strip, only sanded good. I didn't use primer, the door has never had red or pink paint on it. After 2 full coats of white enamel paint, the pink was still there. Sherwin Williams guy had never seen anything like it before. He suggested the cover stain primer, I sanded some of the door and it looks like with 2 coats of the primer the pink will be covered.
I'm just wondering if any of you have ever seen this before.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Always use primer before painting. Paint is not made for cover or to stick to old stuff. Primer, light sand, primer, light sand, then enough coats of paint to cover.
NOW, you get to start over. Light sand, and go thru the steps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like 3 coats of primer will do the trick. Just don't know what is on the door, the spot where the original rim lock was didn't show any pink, it didn't have any paint on it either, the spot was very dark.

·
Registered
26,358 Posts
It appears the door was originally stained and the red in the stain I think is where the red is coming from. That much red bleeding through I think it would take a lot of work to seal it out. I think the easiest solution would be to strip the door and then prime and paint it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Many lead paint test kits turn pink to identify the presence of lead. I'd say there is a very good chance your doors were painted with white lead paint. You should avoid sanding. There are encapsulating acrylic primers that are used over lead paint. One of the reasons you hear about children eating lead paint chips is because lead is sweet to the taste. I'm not sure how you should proceed at this point since you have created a very unusual circumstance. You may have to wait several weeks for the new paint to fully cure, then use an encapsulation primer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lead paint is a sure bet with the doors being that old. It looks like 2 coats of stain blocking primer will do the trick. I am going to put on 3 coats just to be sure. I thank you all for responding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts