Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted before on wether or not I should be using a full kerf or thin kerf and you guys answered my question. Now I'm looking to decide on how many teeth to rip 6/4 down to 3/4. I'm making candle holders out of the 6/4 and cutting board with the 3/4 and need to select something that will leave very clean cuts. I thought about getting the 50t diablo combo but wasn't sure how well it will perform in the 6/4. I have a diablo budget but am hoping for forest quality lol. I'm thinking the diablo either 40 or 50 but if there's something better for that price id go with that. Whatever I chose this will be my main ripping blade until I can afford a premium blade. I'm using a porter cable jobsite TS and want to use a thin kerf blade. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

·
novice wood hacker
514 Posts
Look on Amazon. You can get a decent Freud blade for a halfway decent price. A 10 inch thin kerf rip blade can be had for about $45.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
d_slat said:
Look on Amazon. You can get a decent Freud blade for a halfway decent price. A 10 inch thin kerf rip blade can be had for about $45.
I may do that in the future but I don't have time to wait for it to ship. I have to get cutting today

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
I know you need to get cutting today, so you may be stuck with a Diablo that you can get from HD.

You can get that Forrest cut, and quality for cheaper. Take a look at Tenyru blades. I used to run Forrest blades, but now I only run the Tenyru blades. The best all around blade I have found is the 40 tooth Gold Medal blade. I run the full kerf, but it also available in thin kerf. The blade is just amazing. I really couldn't tell you if the Forrest or Tenyru is better. As far as I'm concerned, they are both awesome, but the Tenyru is much cheaper. It is made from quality Japanese steel and is straight to within .001" just like the Forrest. It will cross cut and rip just as good as any specialty blade there is. It will also cut veneered plywood with zero chipping or tear out. Although I don't use mine to cut plywood, because ply will dull it quicker than I like, so I use a dedicated blade for cutting my ply's and melamine.

Good luck,

Mike Darr

I was talked into the Tenyru blades by one of the guys I buy most of my woodworking tools from. I really thought what he was telling me was way too good to be true. I have always been one that believed combo blades did a good job at ripping and cross cutting, but didn't do either one of them perfect. I have finally found that perfect blade. Tenyru does not classify this blade as a combo, but it certainly does work extremely well as one.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
It sounds like you are wanting to resaw, not rip. I've been using the Freud thin kerf rip blade from HD for a few years now and get very clean results. Takes some serious sanding to get all the marks out, but there are really not a lot of saw marks left after cutting.

How wide of a piece of 6/4 are you planning to take down to 3/4? Most table saws will only cut a 2-1/2" deep kerf. Then the board must be flipped and cut again. This often leaves a ridge somewhere in the middle board which can be a nightmare to even out without a planner.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up buying the diablo 40 tooth. I was ripping 3/4 maple to make a cutting board for my wife. With two kids and one on the way my and Christmas my budget was right and really wanted to make sure I made the right choice and that it will last for a couple months until I can get a premium blade. I have to say I was really pleased with the results of this diablo. I made about 12 cuts at 16" long. It cut like butter and didn't really leave any marks which is great because the top and bottom of the board is the sides of the wood that were cut. I'm sure it doesn't compare to a premium blade but after using the blade that came with the saw and now this diablo I'm really happy with the results. The 6/4 I plan to cut is going to remain 6/4 but will be ripping it into 3" wide pieces with a 30 degree bevel on either side. I make candle holders for tealights and votives out of the 6/4 to sell and right now to give to family for Christmas gifts. I was using my miter saw but it sucks. The cuts aren't straight on the miter saw and I recently found out that's usually the case on most miter saws. I'm hoping this blade will cut the 6/4 as well as the 3/4. I decided on the 40 tooth to keep it clean and seems like it will be easier on the saw than using the 50t combo on that thick of wood.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Posted before on wether or not I should be using a full kerf or thin kerf and you guys answered my question. Now I'm looking to decide on how many teeth to rip 6/4 down to 3/4. I'm making candle holders out of the 6/4 and cutting board with the 3/4 and need to select something that will leave very clean cuts. I thought about getting the 50t diablo combo but wasn't sure how well it will perform in the 6/4. I have a diablo budget but am hoping for forest quality lol. I'm thinking the diablo either 40 or 50 but if there's something better for that price id go with that. Whatever I chose this will be my main ripping blade until I can afford a premium blade. I'm using a porter cable jobsite TS and want to use a thin kerf blade. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
This is likely the blade you want
http://www.freudtools.com/p-428-thin-kerf-premier-fusionbr-nbsp.aspx

It's more expensive than the Diablo but much cheaper than a WWII
Freud P410T 10-Inch by 40-Teeth 30-Degree Hi-ATB Premier Fusion Thin Kerf Saw Blade 5/8-Inch Arbor - Amazon.com
:smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts