Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a jointer, but the movers broke it.

I need to remove what's left of the blade guard, from this bolt - so I can build a new blade guard.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I believe the movers would just be purchasing me a new blade guard.:thumbsup:

·
7,222 Posts
Ouch, I can imagine the frustration. :furious:

I bet this is a press fit. Likely need to use a dremel type tools with small cutting blade to cut down to the steel screw, then hammer and chisel to try and break this off. I hope it comes off clean.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If thats kind of a pot metal it isn't the strongest is it. Do you think J B Weld would fix it well enough to use for a while?

·
where's my table saw?
29,623 Posts
I would not remove it all

I would just cut enough away to get back to a round cap on the bolt. Then attach a flat plastic plate that's the same shape as the original guard using 2 threaded holes in the cap. It could be done pretty cleanly. You will have a difficult time attaching a new plate to the hex head shank of the bolt in my opinion. :yes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The entire guard is bent, it hits the jointer table. I'm trying to bend it back now, but I'm not counting on that.

If thats kind of a pot metal it isn't the strongest is it. Do you think J B Weld would fix it well enough to use for a while?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds like the easiest way.. I must ask: Are guards meant to protect me from shrapnel, or only to protect me from putting my hand in the blade? I ask, because that determines what material I can use.

I would just cut enough away to get back to a round cap on the bolt. Then attach a flat plastic plate that's the same shape as the original guard using 2 threaded holes in the cap. It could be done pretty cleanly. You will have a difficult time attaching a new plate to the hex head shank of the bolt in my opinion. :yes:

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
The guard is to keep you out of the knives. The shrapnel or shavings are all shot out of the bottom of the machine. I havnt seen a hand thats been through a jointer but I dont think it would be pretty!

·
where's my table saw?
29,623 Posts
To keep your hands out of the blades

The thin metal or plastic on jointer guards will not keep flying metal parts within the unit...just my opinion. :no:

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
That sounds like the easiest way.. I must ask: Are guards meant to protect me from shrapnel, or only to protect me from putting my hand in the blade? I ask, because that determines what material I can use.
It is a guard, not a shield, it is meant to protect your hands from contacting the blade. Any replacement should be made with the same curvature as the original so no part of the blades are ever exposed past the edge of the material being fed through it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Probably would be easier to get a blade guard that is similar and modify it's bolt so it would connect to your table.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I planned to use the broken one as a template, so it will have the same shape.

It is a guard, not a shield, it is meant to protect your hands from contacting the blade. Any replacement should be made with the same curvature as the original so no part of the blades are ever exposed past the edge of the material being fed through it.

I didn't pay them, it was a volunteer thing. (friends)

You should just get the movers to replace it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts