Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my saw blades as you can see are getting pretty gummed up...placed it in a pan on three small blocks, covered it with simple green and let it soak for an hour. Went back ans scrubbed clean with a brass brush, and its like new. Can't believe how much sharper the teeth feel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I like green products...

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I just use a little caustic soda and water and the blades clean instantly. No waiting. No brass brush.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The manufacturer of Simple Green recommends that their standard household cleaner not be used to clean carbide saw blades. It can affect the weld attaching the teeth. They make a specific product for cleaning metal which will work fine.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HowardAcheson said:
The manufacturer of Simple Green recommends that their standard household cleaner not be used to clean carbide saw blades. It can affect the weld attaching the teeth. They make a specific product for cleaning metal which will work fine.
Oh? I didn't see that anywhere on it....where did you find that.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HowardAcheson said:
Interesting...I just found a post on their site relating to this...another idea on their site is to soak your blade in strong black coffee. Interesting....

·
John
3,028 Posts
A few years ago Freud posted some test results showing that oven cleaners (caustic soda) attacks the carbide itself. Besides, for what a can of oven cleaner costs, it doesn't look particularly cost effective anyway. On the off chance that Freud is right, I'll stick to blade and bit cleaners, I've got way to much money tied up in bits and blades to start exercising false economies. JMHO:smile:

·
Registered
611 Posts
ryan50hrl said:
Interesting...I just found a post on their site relating to this...another idea on their site is to soak your blade in strong black coffee. Interesting....
By that score my teeth should be mighty clean.

I have had good results with Simple Green. I didn't know about any downsides, though.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I'll just stick with the oven cleaner and Drano. Been using it for over 30 years and haven't had a tooth complain yet. I doubt it's on long enough to do any damage it works without a brush and super fast.

The green stuff wasn't so green just a few months ago. Had 2-butoxyethanol in it until they got caught. If you bought it before 2013 it isn't green at all.

With all the talk about going green, it's a wonder we lived.

Al

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't care about the greeness of it...just want something that works easy.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
There are a number of effective solutions.....409, LA's Totally Awesome, Greased Lightnin, wash soda/water, Dawn/water, Goo Gone, TSP, actual blade cleaners, kerosene. The odds are good that several cleaners in your house will do a good job....pick one and go with it. The important thing is to clean them! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> I didn't see that anywhere on it....where did you find that.

Here is something from Freud a couple of years ago. At that time I had called Simple Green and they verbally gave me the info I posted.

I see some others have found reference to the same info.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've posted this product several times before.
I use Arm & Hammer WASHING SODA (not baking soda). Cheap, not caustic, biodegradable, works in minutes, then pour it down the drain 'cause it'll clean the drains too.
Rinse the blades, dry 'em off, and get back to work.:thumbsup:
Bill

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Bill White said:
I've posted this product several times before.
I use Arm & Hammer WASHING SODA (not baking soda). Cheap, not caustic, biodegradable, works in minutes, then pour it down the drain 'cause it'll clean the drains too.
Rinse the blades, dry 'em off, and get back to work.:thumbsup:
Bill
Who sells it?

Al

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Al B Thayer said:
Who sells it?

Al

Menards...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have band saw blades and I've used oven cleaners and mineral spirits.
Probably OK. The issue is that the chemicals in oven cleaner attack the welds holding the carbide tips onto the steel circular blade plates. No carbide, no problem I would think.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
HowardAcheson said:
Probably OK. The issue is that the chemicals in oven cleaner attack the welds holding the carbide tips onto the steel circular blade plates. No carbide, no problem I would think.
They can attack my welds all they want. It only takes seconds to clean the blades. Bet after all these years I'm still going to be okay.

Al

1 - 20 of 23 Posts