Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a couple lots of rough cut black walnut at our woodworkers auction last fall with the thought of using it for baby furniture (crib, changing table etc) and cutting boards. Now I'm learning that walnut may trigger allergic reactions so it may not be a good choice for these applications. Any thoughts? As a beginner I always thought walnut was a much sought after species, so what can I use it for without causing reactions, especially in infants?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
Walnut is by far my favorite species. I have used it in about a dozen or so cutting boards, and haven't had anyone have a reaction from it. I'm sure others will chime in with some more useful tips, but I'm sure you could do a couple of google searches and find out what you need to know.

If you won't be using it, feel free to send it my way!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Walnut Uses

Walnut is one of my favorite woods. I have made many cutting boards, bowls, wine stoppers and a baby cradle from walnut and never had a problem. The baby is now 38 with no problems.

Bandman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
beautiful wood, no doubt. the thorn in that rosebush is that it has toxic charateristics.

some that i have read about: the sawdust is toxic to human lungs (where dust masks), and can be absorbed by horse hoofs (don't use for bedding), and the tree itself makes the ground toxic, killing some pants (don't place near vegetable garden).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
I purchased a couple lots of rough cut black walnut at our woodworkers auction last fall with the thought of using it for baby furniture (crib, changing table etc) and cutting boards. Now I'm learning that walnut may trigger allergic reactions so it may not be a good choice for these applications. Any thoughts? As a beginner I always thought walnut was a much sought after species, so what can I use it for without causing reactions, especially in infants?

Thanks.
their is going to be a finish on the crib, so the wood will not be contack with skin , i wouldn't worry about it , do a google search and read more, i been wood working for 60 yrs or so and work with all kinds of wood, still going
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Black walnut is mostly toxic in the nut itself. The sawdust is toxic too, but not o nearly the same extent(oak sawdust is toxic too!). Walnut bedding will harm animals, yes, and in VERY RARE cases it can cause an allergic reaction in people sensitive to nuts, or to walnut specifically. Of course, with a film finish on it(poly urethane, varnish, whatever) then there is no contact, and therefore an allergic reaction is even more rare.

To sum it up, don't worry about it, there are more harmful things that exist in our everyday lives that we don't even know about.

Simon
 

·
Sawdust Creator
Joined
·
8,046 Posts
Sure there are more harmful things........but to most people peanut butter is perfectly safe as well.......until your allergic to it. If it was me.....I wouldn't risk it with an infant. Make something they can use their entire life......a dresser or a nightstand.....something thats less likely to be in contact with them.

Just my opinion.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,931 Posts
Black walnut is mostly toxic in the nut itself. The sawdust is toxic too, but not o nearly the same extent(oak sawdust is toxic too!). Walnut bedding will harm animals, yes, and in VERY RARE cases it can cause an allergic reaction in people sensitive to nuts, or to walnut specifically. Of course, with a film finish on it(poly urethane, varnish, whatever) then there is no contact, and therefore an allergic reaction is even more rare.

To sum it up, don't worry about it, there are more harmful things that exist in our everyday lives that we don't even know about.

Simon
Totally agree. We tend to worry about too many things in life that have very low probability of happening.

George
 

·
Wood Snob
Joined
·
5,963 Posts
del schisler said:
their is going to be a finish on the crib, so the wood will not be contack with skin , i wouldn't worry about it , do a google search and read more, i been wood working for 60 yrs or so and work with all kinds of wood, still going
The way things go these days, it's a wonder we even lived.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.
 

·
Wood Snob
Joined
·
5,963 Posts
Biggrbird2013 said:
I purchased a couple lots of rough cut black walnut at our woodworkers auction last fall with the thought of using it for baby furniture (crib, changing table etc) and cutting boards. Now I'm learning that walnut may trigger allergic reactions so it may not be a good choice for these applications. Any thoughts? As a beginner I always thought walnut was a much sought after species, so what can I use it for without causing reactions, especially in infants?

Thanks.
Trouble with making a crib is the many ways a baby can be harmed or worse in a crib. Study up on it. I wouldn't build on to save my life.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
realisticly, in the crib application, i'd probably be more concerned with the finish safeness. most cribs i've seen after use look like they were used as teething beds, having removed most of the finish.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your thoughts. With all the safety issues involving a crib I am more inclined to build a dresser/changing table as suggested. Something that could be useful for a longer period of time as well.
 

·
Wood Snob
Joined
·
5,963 Posts
Biggrbird2013 said:
Thanks for all your thoughts. With all the safety issues involving a crib I am more inclined to build a dresser/changing table as suggested. Something that could be useful for a longer period of time as well.
Changing table is another no no. Best off if you check into that too. What a world we live in.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top