Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black walnut that needs to come down. It is 30" in diameter, absolutely huge, probably the biggest tree for 100 miles.

I was quoted $2k to cut it down. I was wondering if there was an interest or a way to get a woodmill or some company that sells wood to mills to cut it down for cheaper? Or am I crazy?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
gokite said:
I have a black walnut that needs to come down. It is 30" in diameter, absolutely huge, probably the biggest tree for 100 miles. I was quoted $2k to cut it down. I was wondering if there was an interest or a way to get a woodmill or some company that sells wood to mills to cut it down for cheaper? Or am I crazy?
It may help if you tell us where you are located. You may want to advertise it on Craigslist. I see some on my local Craigslist. However, with a tree that large if it is close to any structure that it may fall on you need a professional. If you have to pay a professional keep the log and sell it to off set part of the removal cost.
Tom

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
What's your location? You should be able to find someone to do it for free. Check yellow pages for lumber yards, sawyers, etc. Make some calls and start asking around.

Might also put an ad on Craigslist.

If you are close enough to someone here, you might find a WWT member who is interested.

My sisters next door neighbor had a walnut tree about that same size. Quoted $1500 to take it down from a tree service. Asked around, found someone with a lumber mill and they are going to remove it for free. I just wish I had a mill and a way to take it down - I'd love to have some of that lumber.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If I were within fifty miles of your location and the tree was not in danger of accidentally falling on your house or some other item of value, I would offer to remove the tree and clean up all the debris (except the trunk) in trade for the logs. But would need to see the tree first and verify the situation.

Bret

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm glad i asked. I will check CL and mills. I am on the SW side of chicago, near I55 and I294...if anyone is interested and nearby that wants to take a look can email me at "vckiter" at gmail ddot com

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyway to get some pictures showing tree from a couple different angles? Maybe even showing obstacles to get to tree? Why does the tree need to come down? Thx dew.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well....I hate too hear it has too come down but if so, here's a few ideas!.

Check with your local "historical society" and see if they have interest in the tree.......they may have it taken down for free too salvage the lumber too be used in local historical rennovations.

Furniture manufacturing companies!
Local lumber mills?.....
Local cabinet companies?

You might be able too have it taken down and delivered too a mill, have it cut up, kiln dried, and then sell the lumber too one of these!.
You could just turn that 2K into 2K or more in your pocket!!!!!. And maybe still save enough of the lumber too build a keepsake too remember the tree by!.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Heres a nice video made by one of our own sawmillers here at WWT....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Most of the bigger mills will not touch yard trees- metal in most of them. Best try a small guy- they deal with yard trees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awesome thanks I got a good list of contacts to start with Monday AM. Thewoodman is in Batesville IN an hour SE of Indianapolis (4+ hrs away) so I won't bother him.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a 30" diameter black walnut within about 50' feet of my barn and 40' of garage. The first estimate to remove was $2500. I got a later estimate just to cut down & remove the brush for $1200. They left the main truck and all of the large limbs which I sold about 2 months later for $500.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi gokite. Check out my website and give me a call or send me an email at the address or number listed on the website.

I have a black walnut that needs to come down. It is 30" in diameter, absolutely huge, probably the biggest tree for 100 miles.

I was quoted $2k to cut it down. I was wondering if there was an interest or a way to get a woodmill or some company that sells wood to mills to cut it down for cheaper? Or am I crazy?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts