Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. You might remember my black walnut project from a while back, tree fell, harvested, milled, bowls turned and coffee table built. Anyway, I held back some thicker pieces with the original idea of making a bar top. But it's not really practical for where I live, and I didn't want it to sit in the basement collecting clutter. I do, however, use my desk at my home office every day, so I decided to make a desktop, with the help of a woodworker friend. More on the desk later...

I have two particular leftover pieces, sanded thickness will probably end up at 1 5/8". I think they would make really beautiful shelves.

I've always loved those 'floating' shelves where you can't see the brackets. But can that be done with thick, heavy shelves like this? How do you do that?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is Phase I of the desk. This is the very last of the thick wood, so I know there are some parts that are problematic or less than ideal. But I think it can/will be a beautiful desk I will enjoy every single day. :icon_smile:

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
I know Gideon has made some pretty nice shelves before. Maybe he can chime in and give you some tips?

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Those blind supports suggested by "c" man would work.

Also with material that thick you may be able to use a "kerg joint" type of approach. That would be more limited on the weight it would support.

George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts