Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my cabinets in the shop and I'm ready to start finishing. The walls are burgundy and being the gamecock at heart we want black cabinets. I planned on painting but didn't want to roll it or have to deal with umpteen cans of spray paint so I found a can of min wax poly shade classic black stain and polyurethane in one. The cabinet frames are made of cabinet grade plywood from Home Depot. The face frames are red oak. I tested the stain on a small piece of each type wood. The plywood took the stain very well and soaked it up for a good looking finish. The red oak did not. When I brushed the stain on the red oak and wiped it off it all wiped off except a little down deep in the grains. What am I doing wrong? The piece I tested had not been sanded. Does that matter? Should I just paint it? Should I not wipe it after I apply the stain?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ploy Shades is like a translucent paint---you do not wipe it off between coats--you just add coat after coat until you have achieved the color and finish you are after.

I hate the stuff----every over lap and sag stands right out because it is darker than the thinner areas---if you want to try this product,remember,I have written it off as a bad bet----good luck---Mike--------

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
Mikeswood is right. The poly shades is like you took a can of black enamel and mixed it with a can of clear polyurethane. You just apply it and leave it. If you want something you can wipe, get a can of oil based black enamel and use it like stain. The pigments should be concentrated enough you shouldn't be able to wipe it all off. Then you could put clear oil based poly over the top.

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
I would suggest thinning the black enamel over stain sealer. Couple of coats should leave an opaque black with consistent graining
Hvlp spraying is better than wiping on

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK great answers but now what. I don't want to mess with having to thin it because every time I try to do that I never seem to get enough mixed the first time and then the next time I can't get the same consistency to match. So, what are my best options for a consistent black finish?

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
I have used premixed stain called Old Masters Wiping stain. It's thick and wipes on. I bought it at a Benjamin Moore paint store.
Check on line if they have an ebony or black
BTW use two coats to help cover up the residue after removing the old finish.

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
Well with black you could just use enamel right out of the can and just wipe off what you don't need with a rag. After it dries you could just scuff sand it and put a coat of clear over it. Just try not to put any thicker coat of an oil base clear over it as you can help. If the black is a blue based black when the clear yellows it might have a green cast to it. You can also mix an oil based enamel with the polyshade to make a darker polyshade if that would help.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well I recently tried minwax onyx gel stain I think it is. It comes in a six ounce tube instead of a can. It's the most awful stuff I ever used. It's very very hard to put on very streaky and kind of expensive. I used it on an end table I built and regret is very very much as I think I need to use it for.the other end table and coffee table as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts