Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions on finishing black palm. Don't know if pic shows the grain good enough.
I have sanded thru 800, wiped with DNA and blew with air. Looked good, then after 2 coats of CNA looks
crappy. Any ideas
Thx.- Denny

Antique tool Tool Chisel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess crappy was a vague description. I can get all the shine I want with CA glue. It's what's underneath the glue that counts.
I find out black palm can be difficult to work with. . Never dealt with this before. Maybe sanding sealer will help.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I've turned it once, don't plan to turn it again.

That said ... what I did, and it gave me decent results, was this:

- use thin CA liberally as a "stabilizer/sealer" (not all at once, just a little area at a time)

- take some fresh 320 or 400 grit sandpaper and a flat scrap of wood as a backer block

- wet the sandpaper and the blank (this is important)

- wet sand using the backer block till you think you got all the surface flattened

- wash off the slurry, wipe dry with a paper towel, and inspect: any shiny patches mean you still have a low spot, you must wet sand some more

- is the surface a uniform 'milky' gray? if so, proceed to wet sand with micromesh up through the grits to 12,000 and finish off with some plastic polish (I use Huts Ultragloss)

- remember to sand along the blank to remove all radial scratches before starting on the next grit in the sequence

- remember to wash away all the slurry from each sanding between grits

HTH

The result I got ...
Pen Product Fountain pen Office supplies Writing implement

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up sanding to 800. Then 2coats of sanding sealer. Blew off the blanks to get rid dust in the grain.then continued with ca glue
process.then mm and the palm turned out pretty well if I so myself Hope the pic shows my work. Thank for any and all advise.

Pen Office supplies Writing implement Stationery Ball pen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts