Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a couple speaker towers from MDF and wanted to finish them with black lacquer. Do you guys think this is a bad idea? I like the look of lacquer and it's ability to dry fast which is why I'd like to use it. Just wanted to see if anyone's tried this before and if so, the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
27,740 Posts
The only problem painting MDF is usually the edges. It just takes extra primer. While it's true appliance epoxy is a better finish than lacquer it might drive you nuts trying to put it on. The finish has a recoat window which usually you have to put all the coats you are going to put on within an hour. Then if that doesn't come out good you have to wait a week or more for the finish to cure before you can work on it again. A 2k urethane would be as good of a finish and you could work on it after drying overnight. The downside is it is very dangerous paint to work with and you either need to use it in a spray booth or with a air supplied respirator. It contains isocyanate hardeners which a small amount can hurt you. It's also more expensive. I don't really see anything wrong with the pigmented lacquer for speakers. Lacquer usually is a problem in wet locations. I would start with a lacquer primer until you get the surface level and smooth and then use the lacquer for a topcoat.

·
Registered
629 Posts
A well primed mdf surface should accept a lacquer top coat as long as it (the primer) is compatible.
By well primed, I mean that the surfaces are sealed, well sanded, etc.
Sure, the epoxy would be bullet proof, but....................
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.