Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Noooooooo.....not another one!!!! You'll find a group of people that use both, and the opposite group thinks the other is garbage.....and then some think both are garbage. I wouldn't expect a consistent answer for this question. Are biscuits better than pocket holes, probably....are mortise and tennons better than biscuits....yea.....so on and so forth

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Noooooooo.....not another one!!!! You'll find a group of people that use both, and the opposite group thinks the other is garbage.....and then some think both are garbage. I wouldn't expect a consistent answer for this question. Are biscuits better than pocket holes, probably....are mortise and tennons better than biscuits....yea.....so on and so forth
In case it ever gets brought up, and for the record, I like chocolate better than vanilla.:yes:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So let me get this straight. Chocolate is better than vanilla but we did not consider strawberry. Have I missed anything. LOL..

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Strawberry is the construction grade pine of the ice cream world.....no one really wants it in their shop.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm sure there is a test somewhere that proves which is stronger, but I'm not sure I've seen it. It might even be variable, depending on the size/length of the dowels.

·
Registered
517 Posts
One other consideration:

Which is easier to REPAIR if the joint should fail?

I say that because one furniture maker who made our bed admitted that he stopped using biscuits about 25 years ago because they were harder to repair if they failed.

Oh yeah, and Mocha is the best flavor by far. It is both chocolate AND coffee. So it gets my vote.

At least until they start making beer flavored ice cream...

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
I'm with cabinetman in that I think dowels will provide a better joint than biscuits. On the other hand, he's dead wrong in thinking chocolate is the best flavor. It's so overdone and there are so many better flavors out there, including vanilla.

·
SS user
2,689 Posts
Being one of diverse tastes, I prefer vanilla because most any other flavor can be sloshed all over it to make it taste better(?).
Biscuits are good under sausage gravy or with butter and honey. Add a little sugar and they are really good with strawberries and cream.
As to the OP's question, dowels...by far.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I'm with cabinetman in that I think dowels will provide a better joint than biscuits. On the other hand, he's dead wrong in thinking chocolate is the best flavor. It's so overdone and there are so many better flavors out there, including vanilla.
You should work on your reading comprenhension skills. I didn't say (or think) chocolate was the best flavor...I said I liked it better than vanilla.

·
Registered
26,334 Posts
So are we trying to make a good joint on icecream now. :laughing: A biscuit joint is a good method of joinery and has it's place and is much easier to do but a dowel if done correctly makes a stronger joint. The length of the dowel would make a big difference. Some people use very short dowels so that wouldn't make for any stronger joint than the biscuit. It's the small size of the biscuit which makes it a lesser joining method.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
The thickness of the base stock needs to be considered as well.....to thin and a dowel isn't going to work, i'd venture to say I can put a biscuit in a thinner piece than one with a dowel.......but since i've never tried putting either in thin stock.....i'm just guessing....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts