Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished two “biscuit tables” for the family room. Called such, due to all joinery being biscuit joinery. I know… not everyone’s favorite, but what I chose. The tables are solid poplar with bread-board tops, and ‘mission oak’ stain with several coats of lacquer.

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
Very nice job Mr.Sam,
I have no problem with biscuits. I use them from time to time, along with pocket screws too! You did a good job with the finishing also, stain looks nice and even.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They turned out awesome! you will have to share with us Sam your secret for such even stain on that poplar
I just brushed it on with a foam brush, waited a few minutes, then wiped it off with a cloth rag. I used the minwax stain and poly combo finish, so maybe that had something to do with it? The coats of lacquer were sprayed on with sanding in between with 500 grit sandpaper.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Very nice job. I am toying with the idea of doing something like this.

How did you join your lower support rails to the legs? The top?

Mark

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried to pick straight grained pieces. With minimal green/purple streaks, the sap wood I think. As a general rule, I do not like poplar and don't use it for furniture pieces.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Burb said:
Very nice job. I am toying with the idea of doing something like this.

How did you join your lower support rails to the legs? The top?

Mark
Mix of biscuit sizes. :) The narrow rails were used with #0, long rails #10, and the top was #20.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Great looking tables. I like working with popular but like others have said it normally doesn't stain well. I use it when I am going to paint.
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts