Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Uh...you may need to tell us a little more abouit your project as in width and thickness of wood. That type of thing.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I've often wondered if it mattered. I don't remember what size I use but so long as it doesn't get exposed anywhere then I don't think the size matters.

I could be wrong though and have been before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
like the above, the biggest that I can get away with. greater gluing surfaces. If I can only go as wide as the 0's then i will double them up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
johnjohn,
I'm am purely a novice so take this for what is worth. Like the guys said in previous post, biggest you can get away with. I like to leave at least a 1/4 inch from the end on smaller projects. I just don't like getting close to the biscuit being so close to the edge.

If this is a project that won't stand much abuse, I would go smaller if in doubt because a strong joint will likely not matter that much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just prefer to use splines where you guys would use a biscuit. Stronger and doesn't swell, you can make as long (great for gluing sheet goods together) or short as you need and you never have to order those damn footballs. I use 1/8" masonite for the spline. Gonna get into dowelling asap

·
Registered
18 Posts
You size a biscut simply by picking the largest one you can use for the item. That is right from the manufacture of Plate Joiners. You should also keep your biscut in 2" from each end. Dosn't matter if you dowel, spline or biscut, as long as you glue it and do something more than a butt joint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
usually use two tens for miters on 1X6 casing and base (the log home thing, you know,) there are biscuits made out of a compressed plywood which my friend tells me work great and are stronger. never had strenght issues myself, just have to be really consistent about the plunges and making sure you don't try to match one board with a positive cup and one with a negative cup. that's a wrestling match you'll lose especially on prefinished.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good call TT,
but in retrospect, McDonald's (Macca's) fries would be better. You know, the ones that slip down behind the seats when the kids have had some in the car and they sit there for weeks?. I don't think even Ebony is tougher than them.:eek: :smile: :laughing: .

Regards,

Orson

1 - 18 of 18 Posts