Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding biscuits: do they provide significant structural integrity? Or are they mainly for esthetic appeal, or when screws can't be used? I ask because I will be building a bookshelf for my niece, which will have to support a good amount of weight. I just discovered the biscuit joiner and have been practicing with it on scrap wood. I really like the way it joins wood together, but would hate for the shelf to collapse under the weight of her books. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred Hargis said:
Biscuits have their use, and can be quite handy at times....but I wouldn't use them the way you suggested. To be sure, it's been done; David Marks built a wine rack that had the shelves butt joined and biscuited, Scott Phillips built a bonnet top high boy using butt joints and biscuits (!). (Both these guys have/had TV woodworking shows.....well, Marks had a woodworking show, Phillips has a woodworking hack show). Anyway, as mentioned, dadoes would be a better approach if you're set up to do them.
Dado? New to me. Got a link where I can learn more about this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jschaben said:
I don't use biscuits much and am not convinced they do much for structural strength. For bookshelves, it's hard to beat dados. Also cheaper than a biscuit joiner. JMHO:smile:
Never heard of dados - new to all of this. Can you share a link with more info about this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your informative responses. All the new info gives me at least a weeks worth of research - but you know what this means... New toys for me are in my near future!!
:)
Jennifer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jennifer, dados aren't hard to do if you have a router or a table saw. Heck, even I can do them and I'm also pretty new to this scene. This is a great resource by itself, but I have also bought several kindle books on topics that interest me. One great one was Comp Illus GT Joinery (Complete Illustrated Guide) by Rogowski. I also got the Joint Book in hardcover. The name has already turned a few heads as I keep it by my seat in the living room.
Thank you, NetDoc...just had to comment on your scuba pic...from one fellow scuba enthusiast to another! Ever been diving out here in Micronesia where I am? It's like being in a Sea World aquarium ... We are truly spoiled in these parts!
Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Julie Mor said:
I use biscuits only occasionally, despite their ease of use. Yes, the dado would be best for bookshelves. Dowels would work too. It all depends on the design.

Biscuit bookshelf

Dowel bookshelf

Dado bookshelf

What kind of design are you going for?
Thanks Julie! Super helpful that you attached the designs. Dadoes win! I'll be working in it in the coming week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.