Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's a good BF price for Birdseye? Assume 5/4 x 6, S4S, with lengths from 6 to 12 feet. Highly figured, maybe even instrument grade. Is $20/bf in the ballpark?

Thanks!

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I heard that the bottom completely fell out of the market this morning and that you can't hardly give it away, but I will pay the shipping. :shifty:

Uh, of course I only said that because I am negotiating for some with Daren who routinely has the kind of stuff you are describing.

Actually, I think highly figured maple, the really rare stufff like you are describing will always fetch mucho danero somewhere I think. How much? I will leave that to the guys like Daren and others who sell it because we can't get it around here. :glare:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a guy on Craigslist who says he's got a bunch and is asking $20 per. Sounds like he knows what he's selling, so I don't expect to get any for a steal... but thought I'd get a 2nd opinion in case I want to negotiate.

Speaking of Birdseye, check out this site I just found... they're located in Michigan, to boot.

They're doing some really nice stuff. I'd love to know how much one of those rockers cost... :blink:

http://www.birdseye-connection.com/the.store?cart_id=4906840.18285&page=shopping.html

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
$20 is a little high. I get a premium for WIDE stock, anything over 12" the price starts going up rapidly. I have had stock that is 20+", never got over $20 for it (maybe I could have, but did not). May just be my local market though.

I think for stuff only 6" wide $12 would be plenty, even instrument grade. I could link 1/2 dozen sites that sell it for $10 bft (course there is shipping too, so add a buck at least).

Then again I could link as many sites that sell stuff for unreal money. I will give an example. I sell Chinese elm for $1 bft, I saw it for sale and mentioned it another thread for $10...one of our newest members is asking $20 bft :eek:, for Chinese elm-yard trees.

I sure don't want to shoot myself in the foot by saying wood is worth a penny less than a guy can get for it. But you are asking as a consumer...I would shop around ;).

And as far as TexasTimbers, Buffalo Bilious let's just keep this conversation under our hats, between you and me. My stuff is worth BIG BUCKS :laughing: (least that's what I keep tellin' him).

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I should add too, your are in the heart of birdseye maple country. If you were in Arizona, expect to pay more. Michigan is ate up with it and curly maple. I know a guy up there (and TexasTimbers does too) that was crying he could not get more than $3 bft for 1/4 sawn fiddleback maple. It was nice white stock, he milled and kiln dried it, the feller is a good sawyer....but the lumber market (at the sawmill now, not chain outlets, you guys need to be looking for sawmills in your area, all of you) in Michigan is in the toilet.

Like I said, shop around. Let that Craigslist wood go, you can do better.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know a guy up there (and TexasTimbers does too) that was crying he could not get more than $3 bft for 1/4 sawn fiddleback maple.
Mind telling me who this guy is and where he's at? I'll go $5/bf and make his day! :shifty:

Seriously, though, if you've got a contact up here, let me know who he is, maybe we can do some biz.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I'll go $5/bf and make his day! :shifty:
Already tried that :laughing:, TT will tell you cause I talked to him about it in an email. I offered to buy every stick the dude had...he wanted me to market it for him for a % :thumbdown:. He knows how much I get ($10-$15 since I saw them wide) and thought I was going to get rich on the deal if I bought him out, so he was just setting on it last I knew :glare:. I will P.M. you a link to his site, see if he is close to your area. I will tell you right now he is an odd bird, but has good lumber most of the time.

I need to put his $3 in context. He was trying to expand his market and putting some on eBay and that is all he was getting for it. I don't know what he gets cash and carry at the mill, I would guess more or he would not have been upset at the $3 and brought it up. I really don't think he is getting a whole lot more though. I can't price another mans lumber, I just know what he said openly on a discussion forum for sawyers. That the lumber market in Michigan is hurting (making it a buyers market, that is why I said shop around)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts