Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, all the local Home Depot had for veneer edging was white birch, and red oak. I'm working with sanded pine plywood for a book shelf. Is this going to work well when I stain them? Will they end up looking very different? Should I return the edging and order pine edging online?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, um I guess because I was going for cheap. And it's already 1 foot deep, plus the thickness of whatever backing I put on there. I know it sounds silly to be worried about an extra 1/2 inch (backing + trim), but I was already pushing my luck with it being 12 inch deep. And I don't have a way to cut down the trim if it is more than 3/4 inch thick too. Honestly if the edging looks a little different, I don't care. But if it really stuck out like a sore thumb I would.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was talking to a friend a few days ago, he said I should test it on some scrap. So I put some of the birch edging on some scrap plywood from the project I'm working on (cut from the same board). I told him I've never stained before, but I've seen videos etc, and I got wood conditioner. He was telling me about the follys of leaving streaks, and things like that. Especially on big pieces, so I would have to work fast with applying and wiping. So I decided to use a rag for staining the scrap to see how it would look. It's sitting shiny right now, but it looks good! I think I do need to sand the pieces a little bit more from the looks of this test. He said that the stain and poly both would raise some parts of the grain and not others, but not to worry about it. He said to buff it with some 220 after the first coat, and the second coat of poly should be good. He did say hes has to put 3 coats on before. So we'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to it. I'll post a pic when the stain dries.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first attempt to stain went ok... Even though I used conditioner, it still came out blotchy. A friend suggested I use a second coat of conditioner before staining. The rougher c side came out better I think. The A-side seems more blotchy. The bitch strip blends really well with the pine. The pics don't quite to it justice I think.

c side with birch strip

Attachments

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
I believe the problem you are having is wood isn't sanded enough prior to finishing. Plywood is generally sanded only enough to get it out the door and the face side is generally sanded better than the other. Any plywood regardless of what grade you buy should be thoroughly sanded in order to get a nice finish on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh you are correct about that! That scrap of wood was not power sanded like the panels I cut for the shelves. Hand sanded a little with some 80, and 120. But not enough. And you can tell by looking at all the dark lines. Those are all small channels. But still it is splotchy, especially on the non-knotty side. And I even question the amount of prep I've done for the rest. Some of it is a little rough. But I almost don't mind. Especially on the knotty side (which is facing out, and the tops of the shelves). Don't get me wrong, I sanded the heck out of it (the shelving pieces, not the scrap) , but I question if it was enough. But the clock is ticking, and the Spring semester starts in 9 days. I'm pretty sure I can't get this finished by then. But I can get close. And the closer the better.

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
If you like woodworking I would suggest that you get a random orbital sander. They don't cost very much and would make a profound difference in preparing your projects for finishing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you are completely right cabinet man. I sanded the heck out of this stuff, and I can still see plenty of deep lines. I don't mind though. 1) this has been a great learning experience for me. 2) It's totally gonna blend in with another project I'm setting up. Making a wine / booze rack from some old pallets. So, if the book shelf comes out all rough, it will blend in well with the rustic shelf I'm going to make. 3) If I had bought cabinet grade plywood, I probably would have spent more than I wanted. And you get what you pay for. And I'm ok with that. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts