Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So many a first here - trying to do a hollow form
Using some new chisels
Turning some burl
Want to add feature carving
Started yesterday

So time to set up

Wood Tree Lumber Table

As you can see it is raining. I have no workshop ATM so set up o. I level decking on corner of veranda that is on temporary supports while being re stumped

Soil Tree Rock Plant

The burl is red gum and wrapped around a small branch

Tree Soil Rock Plant

It is a little large for the mini

Tree Soil Rock Geological phenomenon Plant

I decided to plane a flat spot to turn between centres

Soil Tree Rock Plant

And had to do the same at the other end too

Tree Soil Plant Vehicle Rock

And mount it. The banjo had to be placed at one end as the burl was fouling on it. So a matter of working my way across.

Technology Machine Metal Plant Physical fitness

Surprise surprise it is kinda balanced - so far so good.

·
7,222 Posts
Very interesting pictures. It is not easy to look at the rough burl and determine where the centre of gravity may be located.

I am surprised that as material is removed from the one side it goes out of balance. Perhaps voids.

Looking forward to the updates. :thumbsup:

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes voids, it was beautifully balanced before I stuck the chisel into it. The last pics you can see pic one the entire side showing is basically a void whereas I'm making contact on the half shown in pic 2 of the last pictures.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Looks like you're rising to the challenge :thumbsup:

When the lathe starts jumping around, you might consider bolting it to that bench, and laying a shelf across the legs so you can weight the whole thing down with bags of sand or gravel or a few cinder blocks. (Won't stop it moving completely, but it can slow it down :laughing:)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Should be really interesting :thumbsup:.

But a ? What is a BIP, I assume BIN is the trash.

Even went to Woodworking Australia's turning forum and narry a match for BIP with a search. :no:

Reactions: DaveTTC

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looking good so far just be careful :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think DaveTTC meant "Build In Progress".
Makes sense now. I guess I am slow on somethings. 'Bout like a WIP.

I saw a posting of a BAB (burl) and assumed it was a Bad A** Burl.:no:
Still don't know what YCB is...other than suggested Yellow Corn Bread.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Learn something every day..

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
duncsuss said:
Looks like you're rising to the challenge :thumbsup:

When the lathe starts jumping around, you might consider bolting it to that bench, and laying a shelf across the legs so you can weight the whole thing down with bags of sand or gravel or a few cinder blocks. (Won't stop it moving completely, but it can slow it down :laughing:)
That would help a whole lot and when I have permanent digs I shall be doing that ;).
I only took it to 3rd speed of the 5 pulley positions and it was relatively stable through out.

Eventually it did come flying out. Chisel still firmly gripped in right hand I managed to catch the burl left handed as it nestled in my chest. Maybe nestled is a bit of a soft word - I can say it more jumped out than flew out.

Tree Plant Soil Insect Rock

This was how it was upon release.

Anyone like to see a now ???

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Good grief - I just noticed that you were turning that between centers, no wonder it didn't stay put.

Of course, depending on how crumbly the ends are you might not be able to hold it securely in a chuck (or even screwed to a faceplate).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.