Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought some maple on cl. The guy wanted 150 for 2X4 and 2x6 board, i asume they were goin to be used for framing. They were not stacked properly or covered. The boards on not were grey and fairly dry. But as i got deeper they were really wet and moldy. He sais it was cut this spring but im thinking it may have bean earlyer? Took me 3 trips to get it all home in a 1500 truck. I estimate it to be 800-900 bf I planned 2 of the uglest moldy boards i could find to see how they look. there was spalting aand it was pretty curly stuff. My question is is spated maple stable enough to make funature? It does not seem to be super punky but its still very wet. Im thinking of selling a bunch as pen blanks when they dry.

Attachments

· Log dog
7,933 Posts
Wow!!!! Now that's a steel. Curly and spalted.
Looks good enough to build for me. I would sticker and stack it, until its dry. Checking the MC from time to time. Keep it dry and the spalting will stop. If it stays wet it will eventually rot, because spalting is rot. Just stopping it at the right time is key to spalt.
Nice find.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if the spalt will stop with lack of moisture or if i had to spray it with something. Im moving into my new shop this weekend and will stack and sticker everything. I will probably anchorseal the ends as well. Im hoping i can keep the humidity in the shop below 40. temp will probably be around 55. I hope its still stuctualy sound and good for furnature. It would make some neat looking pieces. Ill post some more pictures tomorrow.

· Sawing against the Wind
2,404 Posts
Great find kevin07,

Get it stickered asap, it's probably still got a very high moisture content from being flat stacked. the spalting looks at a good stage to stop....the stickering and allowing it to dry will stop the process. If available, I'd run an extra dehumidifier near the stack for a while....the excess moisture from stack WILL play havouc on most standard H/A sytems alone. This will take minimum 6-8 months to balance MC but longer to build furniture with by just stickering in shop.....this could cause MC issues with other woods stacked nearby at this high MC. you might consider doing a DAREN kiln in a section of your shop and be able to use quicker. I set a temporary pink board kiln up my first and second use....insulate the floor under stack if on concrete due to ground temp and moisture.

Now if your really concerned, ship it my way and I'll fight Dom off until I get it under lock and key :eek::eek::blink:;);):huh::laughing::laughing:.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous evening in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim

Reactions: Dominick

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be moving it all friday night it will be stacked in stickerd in the new shop. It should be the only wood in there for a month or 2 so. I dried some ambrosia last winter with darrens plans but i went a little cheaper and a temporary setup. it worked quite will. I will probably do the same with this lumber. I have a 70 pt dehumidifyer that might stuggle to keep up with that amount of lumber. I dont have to woryy about the H/A system because i dont have one in the shop. Its actually just a 2 car detached garage. Only worry i have now is im going to have to keep the shop locked up so you guys dont try to take it. :laughing: I dont think im ever going to find a deal this good again.

Attachments

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the lumber is down to around 14 mc. I had it in a make shift dehumidfying kiln. I ran it for a month and got about 2 gallons of water every 6 hrs out if it. got the electric bill for the month and stopped running it. I had to have a oil filled electric heater running to keep it warm enough to get the dehumidiyer to work properly. Ill finish drying in the spring or summer. So anyways here a a few pics of some boards i pulled off the top. sorry for the crappy pics, im not very good with the camera

Attachments

· James Daschel
96 Posts
That is some amazing stuff. I wouldnt sell the as pen blanks unless they have very tight curl. As that is what most penturners are after.
That size is really good size for turning stock. So should be an easy sell at 2x2x12. Also, it significantly increases the value if it stabilized, but it has to be bone dry and that of course cost money.

· Registered
642 Posts
you got a hell of a deal id recommend selling that stuff as is 14 is pretty good... by the time you get to summer it will most likely be at 12 or less if you keep it out of the elements and stickered properly. Should sell in a heartbeat. Look how that spalt follows the curl up and down ... SICK:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:would have loved to turn a big ol bowl out of that stuff

· Registered
2 Posts
Well the lumber is down to around 14 mc. I had it in a make shift dehumidfying kiln. I ran it for a month and got about 2 gallons of water every 6 hrs out if it. got the electric bill for the month and stopped running it. I had to have a oil filled electric heater running to keep it warm enough to get the dehumidiyer to work properly. Ill finish drying in the spring or summer. So anyways here a a few pics of some boards i pulled off the top. sorry for the crappy pics, im not very good with the camera
I'd be interested in a bit- thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.