Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here We go....

I am waiting for a comparison of this dado and a new Freud SD208 dado.
So I got the Freud a day early and re-dadoed the legs on my table.

First heres the scoop - I think either the Mibro or the Freud blades are back wards.

If you compare the 2, the Freud blades face away from the front of the saw where the Mibro face towards the saw:

The Freud is much quieter and doesn't shake my TS like it's falling apart:

Here are the after cuts once I installed the Freud

This is the Freud cut:

And this is the Mibro cut

While there was a very little bit of chipping with Freud (cross cutting) - it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the Mibro - I was ducking for cover with that one LOL

So, I'm keeping the Freud and selling the Mibro

Kind of weird about the blades though isn't it?

·
Registered
13,239 Posts

First heres the scoop - I think either the Mibro or the Freud blades are back wards.

If you compare the 2, the Freud blades face away from the front of the saw where the Mibro face towards the saw:

This is the Freud cut:

While there was a very little bit of chipping with Freud (cross cutting) - it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the Mibro - I was ducking for cover with that one LOL

I would not sell the Mibro, I would return them.

George

·
Registered
891 Posts

It is only the way the logos were placed on the blades. Nothing is backward. Just make sure you put the blades on the saw with the teeth pointing towards you.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It is only the way the logos were placed on the blades. Nothing is backward. Just make sure you put the blades on the saw with the teeth pointing towards you.
But the blades on the Freud say the opposite if I put the blades facing me then "this side out" will be facing in on the Freud.

No?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a different model Freud dado set so you will need to check yours carefully. If I remember correctly, on mine, there is a left outside blade and a right outside blade. The teeth are milled to create a splinter free, flat bottom dado, so it is important to mount the outside blades in the correct position and rotation according to the instructions.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have a different model Freud dado set so you will need to check yours carefully. If I remember correctly, on mine, there is a left outside blade and a right outside blade. The teeth are milled to create a splinter free, flat bottom dado, so it is important to mount the outside blades in the correct position and rotation according to the instructions.
AHA - yes, now I see there is a difference!

Thanks @Tom-G or I never would have noticed!

·
Registered
889 Posts
In your picture, the Freud blade on the right goes on first, the one on the left goes on last, with the printing facing the nut. On the Buzz blades, the one on the left goes on first with the one on the right going on last, also with the printing facing the nut.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
where's my table saw?
29,625 Posts
what is going on here?

:surprise2::nerd2::frown2:

This is the Freud cut:

I would not sell the Mibro, I would return them.

George
First off, I agree with George, and would not pass a bad set of blades to someone else. :frown2:

Second, The blade's teeth must face so that the sharp or cutting edge is downward as you rotate the blade from back to front. How you place them on the table for photographs has nothing to do with how they are located on the saw arbor. The Freud will have writing on the blades explaining "inside or outside" or "right side or left side" or words to that effect. The chippers' sharp edge must also face you
when looking down at the arbor. If any of the blades or chippers get "reversed" from the proper cutting rotation, it will tear out the wood and NOT give a good result. Follow the Freud instructions, either on the box they came in or on the blades themselves. :smile3:

Reactions: new2woodwrk

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with dado blades, having only an old Craftsman steel set--which, for what it's worth, actually cuts fairly cleanly. (that being said, I use a router for dadoes).

All that being said, the Mibro blades look like regular TS saw blades that are packaged together with spacers and relabeled for dado use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's my suspicion as well @GeorgeC - I can't believe that a dado is going to be sending splinters everywhere and that is normal for this type of cut.

I just ordered a new set - Freud SD208 8-Inch Professional Dado

I'm hoping it's the Mibro bade set I got - it was a Harbor Freight purchase last year.

I also didn't mention, when I use the blade TS shakes and makes a god awful noise like it's going to fall apart. I've tightened the blades, reset them and it doesn't change.

My TS is pretty sturday (Delta 36-725) - with my regular blades it's very quiet and works really well but this Dado set scares me :(
Did you have to remove a riving knife from your table saw first? If so, did you re-install the bolts that held it on? If you didn't, and your saw is like mine, the blade can move side to side just by pushing on it.

·
Premium Member
5,283 Posts
I have a relatively new Freud Dado set (NOT Diablo). Although the stacking arrangement is in US Standards, I believe the Dado set is in Metric equivelant. The reason for my thinking is that the dados I make, normally 1/2" and 3/4", are slightly undersized. This was first brought to my attention when I started using it and noticed that the 1/2 and 3/4' dado slot fit my plywood perfectly. Normally there is a noticable gap between the dado and the actual plywood. I REALLY love it for that reason - no oversized dados. If I need exactness, there are sufficient shims to do that.

BTW, I just noticed this is a 4 year old thread.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I have a relatively new Freud Dado set (NOT Diablo). Although the stacking arrangement is in US Standards, I believe the Dado set is in Metric equivelant. The reason for my thinking is that the dados I make, normally 1/2" and 3/4", are slightly undersized.
You are correct. The Freud Dado sets are not accurate according to their own charts. They are metric.

The diameter of the blades is not really 8 inches, either. They are 200 mm (7.87 inches), which is just enough smaller to cause problems for SawStop owners, especially the jobsite saws, which do have have a blade diameter adjustment screw.

See my posts in this thread, where I complain about the difference between Freud's dado chart and the actual measurement. Simply put, the chart is inaccurate, probably to avoid discouraging US customers when they learn that they need shims for exact standard measurement cuts:

·
Premium Member
5,283 Posts
@Tool Agnostic
David, I actually did call Freud Tech Support (or whatever they are called) several months ago. The guy I spoke to said he was unaware of the what I was talking about. I have not made any box joint jigs yet as I haven't needed them yet. You, on the other hand, will have to make new ones.
I like the way it is working out for me with the plywood as I have done small mods for other RVers in the park. I also have a Freud blade for my table saw. Haven't checked that only because I haven't had the need yet. If it is not leaving exactly 1/8" kerf, THEN I will have an issue with them. I like pinstripes in a lot of my stuff. My pinstripes are always 1/8". Often times I cut my 1/8" strips on the left side of the blade using the tape on the TS fence and advance it over 1/4" at a time leaving me with 1/8" pinstripe with a 1/8" kerf. Simple measuring system

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
@Tool Agnostic
David, I actually did call Freud Tech Support (or whatever they are called) several months ago. The guy I spoke to said he was unaware of the what I was talking about. I have not made any box joint jigs yet as I haven't needed them yet. You, on the other hand, will have to make new ones.
I like the way it is working out for me with the plywood as I have done small mods for other RVers in the park. I also have a Freud blade for my table saw. Haven't checked that only because I haven't had the need yet. If it is not leaving exactly 1/8" kerf, THEN I will have an issue with them. I like pinstripes in a lot of my stuff. My pinstripes are always 1/8". Often times I cut my 1/8" strips on the left side of the blade using the tape on the TS fence and advance it over 1/4" at a time leaving me with 1/8" pinstripe with a 1/8" kerf. Simple measuring system
Hi Tony - You make good points. They make me want to check the kerf width of the full kerf Freud Fusion blade I have.

I find it stunning that Freud technical support claims that they are unaware of the issue with the dado stack. I call BS on that. There are reviews on Amazon and elsewhere from others complaining about the same issue. A Freud technical support engineer who didn't know about must be living and working in a deep mine on a deserted island. Did you see my post #13 in the thread I mentioned? I posted my letter that I wrote to Freud tech support along with their response. See this post with the letters:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/thr...-dado-stack-and-1-64-inch.220127/post-2139463

Note that I don't have to make a new box joint jig as long as I am willing to use shims to size my dados to a perfect 3/8 inch.

Confession Time:
The Freud stack was getting old and I vowed not to resharpen that cheap set, so I bought a Ridge Carbide dado stack recently. Besides, I wanted to see if I can get better cuts with four wing chippers rather than the two wing chippers in the Freud stack.

I have not used the Ridge Carbide dado stack yet. I continued to use the Freud stack because I was working on "junky" projects such as softwoods and reclaimed wood (for shop projects, etc.), reserving the Ridge Carbide stack for the "true" fine woodworking projects, whatever that means. I haven't had a chance to test the Ridge Carbide to confirm that they make true standard measurement cuts without shims, but that was my belief when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
5,283 Posts
@Tool Agnostic
I hadn't noticed your earlier posts but I did press the link. Very interesting to say the least. I'm going to stick with the Freud because of the plywood thing. I did think it was strange that the Tech Support guy said he was unaware of it. I just chalked that up to the possibility he was a new guy.
And.....your post was highly educational. Enjoyed it
Thanks
Tony B

21 - 38 of 38 Posts