Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using my dado blades for the first time, and they're not cutting cleanly.

I have a MIBRO set and not sure what the problem is - if it's the blades, the installation, the technique or the wood?

I have installed 1 blade + 1/8 spacer + 1/8 spacer + 1 blade = 1/2" total

Here's a picture of the problem:

Notice the chipping of the wood?

When I push the piece across the blades, chips and splinters fly everywhere!

Please help - I need this for my newest project

Sorry for the picture size but I wanted to make sure the cut was visible.

Thanks as always in advance

·
Registered
27,653 Posts
I'm afraid the picture isn't any help. It's so bleached we can't see anything.

When you put the blade on the saw are you sure you have all the chippers going the same direction? Also they work better if you stagger the chippers out instead of clumping them together.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid the picture isn't any help. It's so bleached we can't see anything.

When you put the blade on the saw are you sure you have all the chippers going the same direction? Also they work better if you stagger the chippers out instead of clumping them together.
I'm fairly certain yes, I've looked at them 3 time so far

Going to try another picture - any better?

·
Registered
27,653 Posts
From what I can see it doesn't look half bad. I've had dado sets where you could see where every single chipper cut. A dado set on a table saw doesn't cut as smooth as a router bit. You just can't expect the same cut.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I can see it doesn't look half bad. I've had dado sets where you could see where every single chipper cut. A dado set on a table saw doesn't cut as smooth as a router bit. You just can't expect the same cut.
Steve,

Are you saying that splinters and chips are normal for a dado cut?

That's not very promising LOL....

Here's the same cut using my single blade back forth dozens of times

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
I have never had a dado cut that looked that bad. Even with my "wobble" cutter.

I think either the blades/cutters are put on wrong or are defective.

He cannot alternate because he is only using two blades. '

$36.44 is pretty cheap for a dado set.

George

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never had a dado cut that looked that bad. Even with my "wobble" cutter.

I think either the blades/cutters are put on wrong or are defective.

He cannot alternate because he is only using two blades. '

$36.44 is pretty cheap for a dado set.

George
That's my suspicion as well @GeorgeC - I can't believe that a dado is going to be sending splinters everywhere and that is normal for this type of cut.

I just ordered a new set - Freud SD208 8-Inch Professional Dado

I'm hoping it's the Mibro bade set I got - it was a Harbor Freight purchase last year.

I also didn't mention, when I use the blade TS shakes and makes a god awful noise like it's going to fall apart. I've tightened the blades, reset them and it doesn't change.

My TS is pretty sturday (Delta 36-725) - with my regular blades it's very quiet and works really well but this Dado set scares me :(

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Also, I consider a 1/8” spacer very wide. There are chippers that are 1/8” wide.
The ends of the blades can overlap but must be staggered so the tips don’t touch each other.
Usually the spacers are less than 1/16”.
Score the line prior to the cut as suggested above.
Use a clamp on the Miter gauge if needed to hold tight on the line. (I see a wavy line in the picture).

·
Registered
27,653 Posts
Steve,

Are you saying that splinters and chips are normal for a dado cut?

That's not very promising LOL....

Here's the same cut using my single blade back forth dozens of times

No, chips and splinters are not normal, I just can't see them in the pictures. Is it a carbide set or high speed steel? I used to have a steel set that would cut pretty rough. It may be the set is dull. It isn't difficult to do to buy a brand new set these days that need sharpening.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No, chips and splinters are not normal, I just can't see them in the pictures. Is it a carbide set or high speed steel? I used to have a steel set that would cut pretty rough. It may be the set is dull. It isn't difficult to do to buy a brand new set these days that need sharpening.
Actually this set doesn't specify Steel or Carbide - so I'm assuming it's made of tin LOL
The blade actually says “Buzzz”.

The set they sell now specifies Carbide - but mine was bought in 2015 and there is no information on the blades or the instructions.

It did however, come in a nice fancy wood box LOL

Here's a pic:

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
The Mibro dado set

That's my suspicion as well @GeorgeC - I can't believe that a dado is going to be sending splinters everywhere and that is normal for this type of cut.

I just ordered a new set - Freud SD208 8-Inch Professional Dado

I'm hoping it's the Mibro blade set I got - it was a Harbor Freight purchase last year.

I also didn't mention, when I use the (Mibro) blade(s) TS shakes and makes a god awful noise like it's going to fall apart. I've tightened the blades, reset them and it doesn't change.

My TS is pretty sturdy (Delta 36-725) - with my regular blades it's very quiet and works really well but this (Mibro) Dado set scares me :(
Here is the Mibro set in the nice wooden case:
https://www.myhardwaresupply.com/store/p/49446-Dado-Blade-Set-8.html
There is no "carbide" mentioned in the description. That's because there ain't any on there. Don't expect anything except poor results from this set. :frown2:

Your new Freud SD208 is a zillion times better, I know, I own one. :smile3:

Reactions: new2woodwrk

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
sure do appear to be carbide tipped - and not a lot of tips.... i.e. cross cutting with a 30(+/-?) tooth blade....and the 'interior' blades being two tooth . . . I would expect a fair amount of tear out.

the shoulders should have been cross cut to depth using a finer tooth cross cut blade, then the rest hogged off.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Actually this set doesn't specify Steel or Carbide - so I'm assuming it's made of tin LOL
The blade actually says “Buzzz”.

The set they sell now specifies Carbide - but mine was bought in 2015 and there is no information on the blades or the instructions.

It did however, come in a nice fancy wood box LOL

Here's a pic:

I have the same setup. It is cheap and is junk. It does have carbide teeth but the blades are not the same diameter and I think if you place each piece on a flat surface you will find some are not truly flat or are warped. The only time I will use it is on dados that are hidden. I have purchased a quality dado setup that produces far superior cuts over the cheap setup.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I also have that Freud set and get good results with it. That should solve your problem. It also sounds like the "Buzz" set is out of balance if it makes your saw vibrate.
Do yourself a favor and trash it

·
Registered
182 Posts
You may need to just score it first. Although cross cutting grain is prone to chipping, I'm not sure that's your only problem, that chipping looks to severe. Could be dull or chipped blade, or one may be backwards.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You may need to just score it first. Although cross cutting grain is prone to chipping, I'm not sure that's your only problem, that chipping looks to severe. Could be dull or chipped blade, or one may be backwards.
Thanks @nywoodwizard,

I have re-examined the install of the blades 4 times - they appear to be installed the correct direction.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts