Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished these built-ins yesterday. I botched the estimate--BIG TIME (labor). I'm curious on what your labor estimate (hrs) would have been on this job. The dimensions are 11 1/2' x 8'. The top shelves are 15" deep, the bottom are 18". There are a total of 27 shelves, all have been edged with 1x hardwood. The cases and the doors are MDF, the frames are poplar. Painting was the part that I really took a bath--prime and 2 finish coats.
How would you have bid this one?

Thanks.

--Darrell

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I built them at my shop and then assembled them on site, I would bid three days. If I built them on site, I would bid 7 days. obviously I wouldnt built them on site. Around $600 for materials. $50 per hour and then a couple hundred to cover my butt. I wouldnt paint it though, and it sounds like that is what your mistake was. but my unpainted bid would be $2200.

looks good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did you do the rest of the trim around it and were they built/painted offsite or did you have to mask everything? Looks like a great job as though they were done prior to the room being painted.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I probably would have come somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000-$4500 for what I see in the picture. Finishing takes a long time (for me anyway) I just sprayed 22 BB cabinet doors today with shellac and it took me a total of 5 hours with prep and clean-up.
Great looking job!
I still give "estimates" even for work like this. If the price has to go up a little...you are covered to a degree.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input y'all. Definitely a learning experience for me. I built everything in the shop and painted prior to being on site. I made the bottom cabinets in two sections (a set of 3 and 2). The top was 5 individual units; each one had one stile attached so it would cover the edge of the next cabinet. Once I got to the site I just had to add the end stiles, the rails and of course the base/crown molding. The only painting was touching up the nail and screw holes.
Actual time spent broke down as 2.5 days in the shop, 1 day to install and 2.5 days of painting. I had originally estimated 20 hours--:eek:. Must have had too much spiked eggnog that night!

This client also wants me build a bar, china cabinet and entertainment center in the future. Fortunately I haven't bid them yet. I'll have to explain why the next estimates are noticeably higher (because my family needs to eat!)

Did you do the rest of the trim around it and were they built/painted offsite or did you have to mask everything? Looks like a great job as though they were done prior to the room being painted.
I also installed the crown, beadboard, caprail and baseboard in the same room. The homeowner is going to paint the door casings to match the white trim.

·
Registered
445 Posts
What did you do the job for? I wouldn't have touched it for less than 6000

Is that at the year 2006 prices? :huh:

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
I charge $350.00 a linial foot for a finished piece like that plus extra for pull out shelves or other special drawers or devices. I build units like that in my shop and would charge an additional $340.00 for a the installation.

·
carpenter
4 Posts
I would charge somewhere between 3000 - 3500 finished. You did excellent work but unless you want that to look like a library I would brake that countless shelve lines with some wood / glass doors in the middle of some thicker column-like moldings to highlight center section etc., you probably know what I'm talking about :)

Very nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldnt go any less than 4k. Is it common for you guys to have issues with finding customers willing to pay for you to make a decent profit? thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Nickpod28 said:
I wouldnt go any less than 4k. Is it common for you guys to have issues with finding customers willing to pay for you to make a decent profit? thanks.
Depends who your clientele is.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

1 - 19 of 19 Posts