Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make pole lathe today.I think i have enaugh speed but i dont have proper tools for woodturning.I try with beveled edge chisel.But i fell like it can be done better.What kind tool can be used instead woodturning chisiel, for alternative if you dont have availabe woodturbing chisel.

·
7,222 Posts
A good question. Good to hear the pole lathe is working.

I think a wood chisel can cut the wood, but the handle will be very short, which means you have to hold the chisel down with more force than a turning tool.

A skew chisel is perhaps a good tool to use with the pole lathe.

This link is to show a picture of a skew chisel.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=43173&cat=1,330,49233,43164

Normally wider than the wood chisel and the edge is ground to be an angle to help slice the wood.

Your wood chisel is likely ground with the edge 90 deg to the side. Try holding this at an angle to help slice the wood.

This video may help you better understand the skew and the different types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlZyGKYro4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUZrs6ZBE4MSW-cA72xg8Uhg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
A standard 3/4" wood chisel should work well if you ride the bevel properly. Here is a video of me working on my spring pole lathe. I am using a wood turning gouge and skew chisel but it should give you some ideas.'

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
What I've learned about foot powered lathes is the tools need to be ground at a sharper angle than we normally use for powered wood turning. why, less resistance to the cut so it takes less power and you can take larger cuts. It powered tools you often think your taking a huge cut but per revolution your not. With foot powered lathes you are actually taking a larger cut per revolution.
It's hard to beat a good sharp spindle gouge and skew for this kind of work. Smaller spindle gouges are good for beads and small coves.
I demoed for 3 days on the spring pole lathe at an event about 5 years or so ago. It's a good workout.
Wanna see something cool. watch this video. it will open your eyes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts