Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I have been on the forum for a couple of months now and realized I never did a intro. I am new to workworking. I decided to build some simple..SIMPLE shelves for my son's room. Basically a rectangle shaped box without one side. Took me a week with a circular saw and drill and I had a blast. Did some research on the internet and found the awesome and larger world of woodworking. The guys on this forum are amazing and I thank you all for the guidance and help. I now have a sliding miter saw, router w/table and working on doing a super tune up on my 70s Craftsman table saw. I am 40, married with 2 younger kids, I am in Software Sales and live just north of NYC.

Adam

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hey, Adam. Welcome to the forum. Where in NY? I'm in Cortland.

It's so cold here that my wife's car door locking mechanism grease was so sluggish this morning that the door wouldn't latch after she got it open. I had to blow a hair dryer on it.

Any we're not having ANYTHING like what some of the Northwest is getting. We've only got maybe minus 5

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
phinds said:
I'm in Cortland.
I was born & raised in Virgil near Greek Peak Ski Resort. I graduated Cortland HS in '89.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am actually only 25 miles north of NYC. There is a woodworking show in Albany during the spring I am planning on going to.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Sorry its actually Saratoga Springs (That's NEAR Albany :yes: ) and it's run by the Northeastern Woodworkers Association.

http://www.nwawoodworkingshow.org
Yeah, that's the one I've gone to. I think of it as Balson Spa because that's just down the road and it's where Curtis lumber is. If you've never been to Curtis you should check it out. They normally have big booth at the Saratoga Springs show.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Welcome from WI. As my co'Waupunite above said... minus 7 and sunny...how much better can it get. Don't worry, we'll ship you the weather in a couple of days.

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The weather has been insane! We got 10 inches of snow on Saturday night, Sunday it was 10 degrees and we went sledding, Monday was 50 degrees and rainy now all the snow is gone...Tuesday was negative 15 with windchill and this Fri through Sun will be in the 40s to 50s!! I think I caught a cold just typing that.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The weather has been insane! We got 10 inches of snow on Saturday night, Sunday it was 10 degrees and we went sledding, Monday was 50 degrees and rainy now all the snow is gone...Tuesday was negative 15 with windchill and this Fri through Sun will be in the 40s to 50s!! I think I caught a cold just typing that.
Yeah, we've seen the same weirdness, except with a smaller snowfall.

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
Welcome from sunny So. CA-

My partner's family is in Waterford, NY...we go back a couple of times a year, try to coincide with the Tugboat Roundup and/or CanalFest.

I'd sure like to be able to spend time looking for old, dry lumber out there...imagine there are fallen trees older than anything in California!

See you 'round...

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just registered and recently set up a small shop in my spare bedroom in Albany, NY. Definitely going to check out that trade show and am looking forward to tips and techniques.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts